Predictive loading with values under three

Can you make a screen recording of your switching rackspaces?

Maybe, you need to play with the Windows cache size. It sounds to me that it is still a delay in loading the plugins. Just a thought. Have you looked into checking your memory and cache usage?

Steve

Is that the page file? I went through the optimizing book and tried looking for the page file. It didn’t show up in Win 11.

I’ll try, but I’ve never had much success in the past.

Try BandiCam. The free version only has the watermark, but video and sound are recorded properly.

GP slow load

Hope this is ok. Please advise if not sufficient.

What you are doing is not just select the next (preloaded) rackspace.
With predictive load set to 3 only the previous and next rackspaces are loaded.

Wirth your select 3 rackspaces must be loaded and that takes time.

Details in the documentation

I understand about predictive loading. But I really want random loading so I can respond to audience requests. It’s not only the time, but also why the plugins are red for a while before turning green. The same thing happens when I select in sequence. I’ll do another tomorrow to show you.Predictive was set to three for this. I go back to my original request - the option to choose 1 (one) in predictive.

In my experience selecting the next rackspace while predictive load is set to 3 works fine.
Is that not the case on your system?

There is no magic here. You can’t have instant arbitrary random loading, it takes time for plugins to load…you have to either

1. Preload everything in which case everything is instantly available but you have to wait for everything to be loaded

2. Use predictive loading and only choose an item that is “next” within the range of what is being loaded in the background via the predictive loading mechanism in anticipation of what you will need next, thereby allowing the next few items to load in the background WHILE you are playing the one you selected.

If there was such a thing as a predictive loading value of “1”, that would mean you would have to wait every time you selected another rackspace.

1 Like

There is a wait of quite a few seconds until the plugins in the selected rackspace turn from red to green. While they are red, I cannot make a sound of any sort. If the period of loading from green to red was shorter say 4 or 5 seconds, that would be acceptable. But 10 or 12 seconds is just too long. In my case, it seems that the one I am wanting to play is still loading, when it should be the one ahead that is loading. What I don’t understand is why is the rackspace I want to play unavailable to me when it should have been loaded already by the last selection? Is it possible that all three rackspaces are unloaded and the next three are loaded when selections changes? If that was the case, then I could understand the slow loading.

That might be quicker in the long run.

Ah - now I see what you’re wanting — you would like to have GP just load one rackspace at a time and then load the next one when you want so that you just pay the cost of loading the new one (and unloading the old one) and just wait a little while

This is the opposite of what predictive loading was designed to accomplish since, in a live performance system, the goal is always to have sounds available instantly

Then Predictive Loading isn’t the solution for you, if you want immediate access. As simple as that.

1 Like

I suppose he could create a gig with no rackspaces in it - and then just drag rackspaces in as needed

2 Likes

There are times when I use predictive and times when I turn it off. For my sets of 20 songs (one hour playing), I turn it off. The set loads in a minute or so but I do have totally instant loading. However, with larger gig files of 30, 40, or 400 rackspaces, I need to turn it back on because of the ram limit (16 gig).

I would really like to try the one rackspace load. Is there any way the developers would consider doing a trial/beta build with only one predictive load and use me as a test case?

I’ve put the idea on our tracking system but unfortunately we would not be in a position to create a special build just for this. I can’t tell you if/when such a concept would be implemented.

I wonder how similar are some of your rackspaces. If you have subsets of identical rackspaces but with just different presets, it might make sense for you to explore GP’s experimental ability to load presets into plugins when changing variations using GP Script. Unfortunately, you would probably need to get some help to do this.

Very early on, I think when V2 arrived, it was suggested that because I was creating rackspaces with complete setups (drums, bass, guitar, piano etc), using GPs built in set lists would not work as well for me, so that is why I stuck with rackspaces.

I’m not talking about setlists. For example, you say your rackspaces have complete setups (drums, bass, guitar, piano), etc

If you ignore actual patch differences, how similar is the wiring of each rackspace? Do you have a lot of rackspaces or multiple subsets of rackspaces that have the same wiring, for example?