Predictive loading with values under three

I would like to be able to experiment with smaller predictive loading values. I have predictive turned on and set to the minimum of 3. My sets of 20 rackspaces load in less than 20 seconds on average, but proceeding to the next rackspace in order varies from 3 or 4 seconds, up to perhaps 12 seconds according to the amount of ram involved. I have 16 gigs of ram available.

There are times when I want to jump to another rackspace which could be13 rackspaces away from where I am at present. According to my simple logic, GP first of all needs to unload 3 rackspaces at the current location, then load 3 more rackspaces at the new location. If I only want one song at the new location, why can I not have the option of setting predictive to 1? I rarely ever go back when using a set list, so it makes sense to me that I would save loading time by having the ability to predictively unload only 1 rackspace and then load up only 1 new one. If I could have this option of loading only 1 rackspace instead of the current minimum of 3, would I not save 66.6% or 2/3 loading time?

If my logic is faulty, then please correct me. Otherwise, I would like to lodge a request to have the predictive loading options upgraded. Cheers!.

I

1 Like

Nothing wrong with you logic, but are 20 sec really so unacceptable that you propose loading time optimization? :thinking:

Twenty seconds is the approximate loading time for the whole 20 rackspace set, which is fine. However, when each rackspace could take 10 to 12 seconds to load before playing can begin, that’s a long time when performing live.

1 Like

How long does it take when you just select the next rackspace and not a random?
As I understand the next rackspace should always be playable immediately, only the overnext rackspace needs to be loaded, but that should be done in background.

That’s what I thought was supposed to happen too. The rs seems to load, but no music comes out when I start to play. Then the hour glass spins and when it stops, I can play the song. This could be 10 or 12 seconds later. I have asked about this on the forum before. Most of my rs are complete songs with drums, bass, guitar and maybe piano and strings. Thats why I am asking about a single load predictive setting. As it stands, three songs are loaded when I only need one. I wait a lot of the time as predictive is not that quick for me.

This issue I do not face.
Normally the next rackspace marked in green should be immediately playable.

I see the green and red bars on the left. The selected rs shows green and the big green bar at the bottom says “loaded.” However, nothing much happens until I strum a chord on my digital guitar. Then all the plugins which are red, start showing the hour glasses and eventually turn green at which I can start playing. This can take quite a few seconds, and all the while, GP is giving the “not responding” message at the top.

I’m wondering if it is an issue with a given plugin. I think you use your guitar plugin (Realguitar?) on all of your rackspaces and you mention that things stall when you start playing. Have you checked to see if the problem also exists with other plugins? Maybe there is an initialization issue with a given plugin?

Just a thought.

Steve

Yes, you could be right. if it is the RG plugin, then I may have to reduce the number of instances I use in each rackspace. I go back to my original thought of having predictive loading set to only one as an option. I would really like to be able to try this.

It sounds like there’s way too much going on in each rackspace.
Why not use multiple instances of GP to split up some of the load?
In my one-man show I have guitars, drums, vocals, and keys incorporated with looping. Each one of those instrument groups gets their own instance of GP. The benefit of this is that the load is distributed over many different cores of my CPU. Loading time is never an issue for me.

Anyway, something to think about as it seems you have maxed out what you’re trying to do and are running into obstacles that are impeding your ability to switch rackspaces in a timely fashion.

2 Likes

I’m keen to look at the multiple GP idea. Any chance of uploading a sample rackspace? Just something simple would be fine.

I’ve been thinking about multiple instances but I don’t see how it can apply to my setup. Each of my songs exist as single rackspaces containing a complete setup of several instruments. Unless multiple GP instance can exist within a rackspace, how can I use them? Each time a new rs is loaded, a new set of instruments is loaded. I don’t use the set list option. How can I load multiple instances each time a new rack space is loaded?

Ther is a misunderstanding.
A 2nd instance is just started gig performer twice.
And now you can build the rackspaces in the 2nd instance.
Via OSC it is very easy to sync this 2 instances.
This way when you select a rackspace in the 1st instance the correct rackspace unthen2nd instance is selected.

2 Likes

Ok, I looked up some instructions but I didnt fully understand them. If I have a gig file of twenty songs, how is a second rackspace saved with the original gig file? Will it load up at the same time as the original gig file. I have 20 gig files with 20 rackspaces (400 songs). How do I load a second instance for each of those 20 gigfiles?

I’m getting the suspicion that a second instance is not intended for my situation as described above. At present, I load a gigfile of 20 songs. My iPad sends a PC and the gigfile recall the correct song. I can play for an hour until all 20 songs have been played. I’m still not sure how a second instance could be integrated in this situation. And then I have another 19 gigfiles that would also need a second instance.

1 Like

It’s not saved with the original gig file. Each instance of GP will have its own rackspaces and files to be associated with that instance.

You can create a Windows batch file to open up multiple instances of GP simultaneously.

The point of having multiple instances is to put some, or all, of the different instruments in their own instance. For your purpose, this would require re-thinking how you organize everything and allotting things in different ways. The end result is the same, but you’re able to get more out of your machine and load things much faster than you are currently loading them.

What I mean by that is, in one instance I have my guitar rackspaces, and that instance saves to its own file. In my second instance, I have my drum rackspaces and that instance save to its own file. The same goes for my vocal and keys instances. I recall them all with a simple .bat file, so that my entire gig loads all the instances simultaneously.

These can all be synchronized to each other in many different ways. It adds a little more complexity to the setup, but in the long run I am able to get much more out a single laptop than if I tried use only one instance to house all of those different plugins for all of those instruments.

1 Like

This does not answer the bigger question though. He should be able to play the next item without delays. Why can’t he?

Edit: as an experiment, perhaps try creating a new gigfile, use other plugins and see if you can start playing the next rackspace when predictive loading is enabled

Hi, I suspect his Realguitar plugin but yes, it is more than likely one or more of his plugins. If that is the case, we would need to identify which one and see whether the manufacture can fix it.

Steve

I’m at the crossroads. From what posters have said, It is either a plugin issue or a multi-instance issue. The thing is, where do I go from here” I have over 500 songs/rack spaces spread over many sets. If I start the process of extra instances, it is going to take me a long time (I think) to convert the rack spaces. On the other hand, If it is a plugin causing the problem, then that could be a much simpler fix in the long run.

I would like an opinion on the best way to proceed from here.

He may have the answer. Late last year, I upgraded from a MS Surface Pro 6 to a SP 8. The SP 6 had a built in SD card slot, so I saved to and loaded from that. The SP 8 does not have an SD card slot, so I have been using the original SD card from a powered hub. This morning, I copied the GP info from the SD card onto the SSD of the SP 8. I may have fixed the problem.

2 Likes

Ok, I did some testing with the rackspaces loading from the SSD. I’m still having to wait for plugins to change to green before sound comes out, but its perhaps 2 seconds faster now.