Possible to change midi controller mappings on the fly

I want to use VCV Rack in Gig Performer. VCV Rack is a virtual modular synthesizer VST, and the amount of parameters are almost endless within one instance of the plugin. I want to use a single midi controller, in my case the Arturia Beatstep, and I want to be able within gig performer, to change what mappings the different knobs are assigned to within the one instance of VCV Rack without changing midi channels on the beatstep. Is there a way to activate and deactivate midi mappings on the fly in gig performer? Or is there another way to go about this? Help and/or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

n

Hi @bbdomestique ,
welcome to the family.

Are you talking about MIDI mapping of widgets to your controller or HOST automation of plugin parameters?

When you are talking about HOST automation:
With scripting you can change the mapping of a widget to a plugin parameter.

MapWidgetToPlugin(<w : Widget>, <plugin : Block>, <parameterNumber : Integer>)

I was thinking id have 1 control on the beatstep mapped to 6 or so widgets. Each widget would control one parameter in VCV. When i opperate the one control, obviosly i wouldnt want all 6 parameters to be affected. So id want five of them off or inactive while one is active and affe ting the single intended parameter in VCV. So I think you understood me correctly and your solution i think should work great. Im gonna try it out and see if i can get it doingbwhat i hope. My free trial is coming to an end so tonight so i think im gonna take the plunge and buy the software. Thanks again.

I think, this could be useful (not only for you).
So… Inspired by your question, i made a rackspace with a knob matrix of 4 banks with 8 knobs each.
It needed some some lines of GP-Script code to make everything work, but i think it’s worth the effort!

EDIT: I made a separate Thread in the “Scripting With Gig Performer” sub forum - that might be a better place for it!

You’ll find everything here:

Hope this helps… :slight_smile: :beers:

Cheers!
Erik

4 Likes

wow, this is truly amazing. Thanks so much. I’m diving in right now to try and get it working on my setup. might take a while since I have a lot to learn about scripting but I’m very excited.

thanks!