NI Kontakt 6 - where to buy?

Hello GP friends,

does anyone know where to buy NI Kontakt 6 (Factory Library) for cheap? I already own the Arturia Collection 9 and therefore do not need any more synthesizers.

Is it possible to get NI Kontakt 6 used?
Does anyone possibly have it left?

Thanks for any tips and hints.

LG Manfred

After watching some GP backstage videos, I am now testing GP and am very excited so far. What I am still missing, however, are these standard instruments that are not so 100% present in the Arturia Collection 9. That’s why I was thinking of buying Kontakt 6 used. But where?

I think you cannot buy the factory library alone, not sure.
What can you order on the NI web site?

I don’t know exactly what you mean by saying “these standard instruments” but a good candidate for all the bread&butter sounds might also be “Triton / Extreme” from Korg:

But you might want to wait until it goes into sale… because $250 is not ctually cheap - last year in April, they offered a 50% discount during a one week “Spring Sale”.

2 Likes

You can buy Kontakt 7 alone:

But first, I didn’t want to spend so much money for the beginning and second, I heard Kontakt 7 causes problems in GP. Don’t know if anyone can confirm?

Yes Kontakt 7 VST3 on Mac faces crashes.
The AU Version is running fine.
On Windows, I do not know.

I contacted NI support, but until now no feedback.

Thank’s for the info.
Is it worth to go with KONTAKT 7 or ist the Version 6 suffiient?

I think for you need Kontakt 6 is sufficient

Allright. So I go for it and try to find something used.

I’ve not tried these myself, but the Goliath library from EastWest Sounds is supposed to have a wide collection of sounds. It’s on sale right now: Goliath - EastWest's Best Sampled Instrument Plugins

I’m considering it myself for the world instruments and a few keyboard instruments. I’m using their symphonic symphony string ensemble patches for a couple of patches and they work fine on Gig Performer for Windows. Since it uses the same VST host I wouldn’t anticipate issues.

I also have Kontack 7 on windows and haven’t noticed any stability issues. However, must of my bread and butter sounds are from AIR Music. Overall good quality sounds, at least on par with the sounds that shipped on my original keyboard.

Check out the buy/sell sections of the kvr and VI Control forums. I think people occassionally sell Kontakt 6.

PS: On the kvr forum I saw someone currently selling Konakt 6 for $100 Euro, I think.

I don’t know the seller, but I bought 5-10 license transfers on kvr never had a problem

Jeff

I would confirm that ALL Kontakt instrument libraries you want to run require v6 or earlier before you buy a v6 license. Any library created on v7 will not run on v6. I would also compare the cost of a v6 license PLUS the cost to upgrade to v7 versus the cost of just buying a v7 license now. You might find that you’re better off just getting v7.

You could try this:

But only one single installation per license, right? (I own two very expensive choirs plugins from them and if I want to install a second time, I need another full price license :confused:

Yeah, good catch. They really need to update their licensing for sure!

I just checked their WalkThrough real quick and I don’t like them that much compared to NI. I don’t know why, but not my taste.

As I understood NI Komplete Start does NOT contain the ful version of Kontakt 7. This could be a problem I guess!?

@frankenrieder Komplete start only counts the kontakt player, not the full version.

You need the full version to play third party sample libraries, unless that third party also has a Kontakt license (which means that the player will work).

Most of the free libraries usually require the full version because their creators cannot or will not pay for a licence.

If you intend to buy the full version and are not in a hurry, you can wait for sales or promotions: I paid 199 € instead of 299

Hi, I have and use Kontakt 7 every day. It’s wonderful and a huge improvement over Kontakt 6 and earlier versions. NI finally got around to improving the instrument browser interface in addition to various bug fixes and user improvements. I’d never go back to using the previous versions.

Along with that, the factory libraries were updated, so as others have commented, there is considerable content in K7 that won’t work in previous versions, including the subset that works in Kontakt Player, of which, as noted, a subset of the new content won’t work in previous versions of KP7.

With respect to “used” or second hand licenses, YES, there are and there is a market for this type of product. See the NI link below concerning transferring a product license for a second hand product. Unfortunately I do not know where you might look for resales of NI software products, but I’m sure you can find them with due diligence internet searches. The biggest NI sale is at the end of the year with huge discounts, and once you own an NI product, the upgrade pricing is up to a 75% discount for some of the products, very handy if you have a lot of NI products.

How to Import a License Transfer ID to your NI Account – Native Instruments (native-instruments.com)

With respect to the Korg Collections and individual offerings like Korg Extreme, these software emulations include all the sounds that were originally available on EXB-PCM boards, so if these are the sounds that will satisfy your needs these software emulations are a great deal. The original EXBs were $$$ for each board. However, these software emulations lack some of the functionality the original product had, like sampling and some types of file and disk management, some of the more isoteric sound manipulation is also not present. Korg does have big sales a couple of times a year with huge discounts - enough so that the price of the complete Collection is almost as cheap as one of the standalone instruments at MSRP.

KORG Collection 4 for Mac/Win - SOFTWARE INSTRUMENTS | KORG (USA)

Unfortunately, however, you really have to figure out exactly what it is you need and the best way to get specifically that, then whether it’s possible to also find it as a secondhand sale where applicable. The good news is that if Kontakt 6 really will fill the need, you should be able to find someone selling a secondhand product and license - eventually.

Here’s a quick look at a internet search and Reverb (I buy and sell a lot of gear on Reverb :slight_smile: ) The software bundle is no longer available but you can get an idea of what to look for/what may be on offer.

Native Instruments Kontakt 6 | Reverb

1 Like

Yes another vote for Korg. With getting the triton and tritone extreme as they’re bundled…. Gives you a ton of usable sounds.

1 Like