NI Kontakt 6 - where to buy?

You might want to check Neo Soundstation 2. Nothing but bread and butter sounds or as you would call “standard” instruments by which I think you mean traditional, acoustic instruments. It’s $30 and runs on the free version of Kontakt player. I don’t buy from EastWest anymore; only one computer installation. It is a pain in the neck to move that USB license dongle between my machines. Also, Goliah 40gb, Neo Soundstation 2 5gb.

2 Likes

Thanks guys !
For all the helpful information. If the K7 is really that much better than the K6, then I’ll just go the quick route and buy it new now. Because I don’t want to wait until next Black Week to get going with Gig Performer and excellent bread & butter sounds from NI.
Because my hardware keyboards are already giving me slihght problems and I don’t want to have another nightmare in the coming season, I have to switch to GP as soon as I can. I hope I will succeed, but in case of need I still have this wonderful community.
Already looking forward for your excellent hints and tips

2 Likes

The only problem is the touble with K7 und GP on Mac OS (M1). Is there a solution to the problem in sight?

Use the AU version and your are fine.

2 Likes

Good point, but AU runs only on Apple Computers.

What if I want at some point in the future go with a cheaper windows PC? Even if it‘s just for Backup purposes.
Is there an easy way to switch AU based plugins with their VST3 version in all my Rackspaces at once?

Hmmm?

No, there is not.
When you do that, save the instruments or multi’s on Kontakt and then replace Kontakt and load the instrument or multi from the Kontakt inbuilt menu.

1 Like

Thanks for the hint. I‘ll come back on that for sure.

I have found someone offering me KONTAKT 1 Full Version plus KONTAKT 5 Update. That means 2 license codes.

Is it possible to apply a KONTAKT 7 Update license on top of that?

If yes, how much would the K7 Update cost.

Can anyone help? I have no idea if that is easy to do and possible.

You can ask NI support or take a look at their site

Thanks, I’ll check it.

As Pianopaul said, ask NI Support. They are pretty responsive in my experience. I would guess that it will be possible, it’s the license that counts, not who is currently holding it.

I would highly recommend that you watch some of the NI “how-to” videos on using their products, in this case K7. However, Komplete Kontrol is also a free utility and exceptionally powerful. One of the really slick things is making full use of presets. Doing this makes the underlying plugin, as I understand it, agnostic as to the format. The preset should know what format is necessary on the platform you are using it on. KK will also register other vendor’s plugins and effects even if they are not fully compliant out of the box, or comply even with the NKS standard. The link I will include below shows you how to make your own presets for other vendor’s non-compliant plugins so you don’t have to load the instrument and then go fish for a preset (factory or user) you want to use. You basically automate it all. One other detail is that Kontakt runs in the background and I think it’s possible to load more than one instrument in KK which I haven’t tried yet. Not sure how that would work with standard or custom midi-mapping for more than one instrument but it may be possible. I would think you could ask the creator directly in the Comments section. NI has been pretty good about this too in my experience, but in any case running multiple instances of KK hasn’t seemed to impose much additional load in my experience either. Lots of toys to play with.

Thank you.

So ist it sufficient to buy just K7 to have all the good sounds I need in respect to bread&butter use (strings, brass, guitars etc.)? Or is it even better to buy Komplete Standard? What’s the real difference?

I have to mention: Arturia Collection 9 with tons of Synth sounds is already available to me.

Thank you all :pray:

I mostly use Kontakt and Reaktor ---- for other stuff I think there are better plugins available.

The only reason to buy Komplete (say) is the price for all of it is less than buying a bunch of other plugins.

1 Like

Probably more exactly and probably a reason to buy Komplete, we all use the HUGE collection of instruments for Kontakt. I don’t know the Kontakt instruments you get when you only buy Kontakt.

1 Like

To me the chief benefit of Kontakt is allowing you to use amazing sample libraries by smaller developers.

2 Likes

As already mentioned, I got the chance to buy a fairly cheap K1 + K5 Upd and will then be able to Update to Kontakt 7. I do ALSO have the possibility to update to Komplete or a fair amount of extra money. Now I am thinking of taking the chance.

Another think to ask:

I did buy a used KORG nanoKONTROL 2 and I don’t know why Slider 1 and Solo button 1 do not send the same CC MIDI messages as the others. I cannot learn these 2 controls.

Is it possible that this can be somehow changed thru any KORG Application?

I do see MIDI messages arriving in Gig Performer, but I cannot use the two controls fpr learning.

Any ideas?

What Message can you See in the global MIDI Monitor Window?

The first two messages are from Solo button 1.
The last message comes from Slider 1.

Yes, you can’t learn CC0 and CC32 as they are reserved for bank selection.

But yes, fortunately you can use the editor to change them.

1 Like