New user - many questions

MOTU Pro Audio Control allows me to setup as many virtual inputs and outputs as I need and their matrix sees them and allows me to route stuff to them and from them. Just opened Reaper and Reaper is seeing them.

Is Reaper using the ASIO Pro driver?

Reaper is using the same MOTU driver, yes.

According to the image you posted earlier, your example shows that Gig Performer is using ASIO Link Pro. If it was using the MOTU driver, I would expect that block to display the MOTU driver name.

screenshot_5482

For example, I have a MOTU M4 and GP shows it as M4

screenshot_5483

I think that is a screenshot from someone else’ screen, I have not posted an image yet. I am running MOTU Pro Audio.

And apologies, the audio blocks have 72/64, which is correct. But Audio Options has 60 Active input channels and 64 outputs. So Active Input Channels is missing 12 in its list, but they are showing up on the Audio In block

Yes, 512 works, thanks!

1 Like

That was my screenshot, explaining to @manymanyhaha how some routing through Bome worked.

Speaking of which, @manymanyhaha if you scroll up you’ll see my post with some screenshots attached. Let me know if that answered your question about how to combine controllers in Bome for use in multiple GP instances.

Yep, got that working, thank you!

1 Like

So this is the original list:

1. CPU - I think if the midi controllers continue to work then multi-instance GP will solve the CPU issues.

2. GP won’t open with more than 72 computer inputs and 64 computer outputs.

Would play with recording in Reaper if I could get enough outputs to it which would potentially solve no. 3

1. Recording is fine once it gets going but it is very sluggish.

2. In the panels screen, moving the mouse just seems to randomly turn buttons on and off across the screen without even going over them, much less selecting them.

No input on this one yet. Anyone else seen this?

1. For PC messages to change racks and variations, what is the Midi Channel? 1? Is there a way to change it?

No input on this one, not seeing where one can change the Midi Channel for this. Am I missing it?

1. If accidently removing a cable route, is there no Undo to go back?

Thanks for the response, just need to be more careful in the Wiring screen. My butterfingers extend to the virtual world, apparently :laughing:

1. Probabilistic Sound Designer - Is there no way to assign a midi control button to Randomize? Also, would be really cool if it could you could have two Randomized settings that it oscillates between at the speed of Midi Clock.

Wishlist item I suppose, no worries.

New question: Do any of you use a brickwall limiter and if so, which one works well for latency and stability? Fabfilter L2 introduces too much latency on my system. Have the Blue Cat one too but have some stability issues with Blue Cat stuff.

Super impressed with all the responses. Never received help like this at the Reaper or Cakewalk forums, thank you!

I am using EMO-D5 from Waves, no latency and CPU friendly.

1 Like

It will be any channel unless you specify a particular one here:

Actually, have PSP InfiniStrip and it has a brickwall limter, I am now seeing, so hopefully that is covered now, thank you!

This is all described in the documentation

2 Likes

Gotcha, thank you. Am having some problems with PC commands but working on it.

Between getting the midi controllers working with multiple instances, changing the buffer to 512 and substituting one plugin that I figured out was really high in CPU for another that is low, I now have two instances working in concert that seem to give me a lot of headroom to work with. This is awesome!

And I can record them from one instance and that’s great. Thank you everyone, so much. Still struggling with inputs/outputs and PC commands but will work on that for a bit, test some things, see what I can figure out further and get back to you. Thanks!

3 Likes

@manymanyhaha let’s please set a few things straight as you seem to be simply providing some incorrect statements:

Not sure how you tested, but I just created an interface with 92 inputs and 98 outputs. It all works just fine.

The recording should start almost instantaneously. I just tried to record all these 92 channels and it just starts recording right away. If it isn’t - most likely your computer is sluggish and by that I mean that your hard drive is most likely taking its time to respond. I also suggest you open a separate instance for recording inputs only and give it a larger buffer because things don’t have to be processed in real time. Say 1024. On my computer - recording 92 input channels with those settings takes about 3% of CPU

There is nothing really random about this and buttons do not turn on and off randomly. Please provide a concrete example of how to reproduce this. Something is turning those buttons on and off - you just need to figure out what.

This is basic GP operation. Please take a look at the manual or at least browse through GP options and you will see that all these messages can be learned for any MIDI message and any channel.

Basically - I STRONGLY suggest that you go over the GP manual. You seem to be doing some things that not many people do, but GP should still be able to work for you as it is highly adoptable system for any kind of performer.

5 Likes

Sorry sir, it’s not that simple :laughing:

I tested it by trying it. Just tried it again, GP will not open. At all. But I’m glad that it works for you. Seriously. What audio driver/interface are you using?

Reaper and Ableton are seeing the extra inputs and outputs, btw. So I have no idea why GP would not open past 64/72, for me.

I thought it probably should too, that’s why I was asking about it. My computer is a top-line computer: 5950x, 64gb RAM, fast SSDs, water cooling etc. The ONLY time I’ve ever seen this computer act sluggish at all is two things: 1) Doing complex video work in After Effects (which is normal) and 2) trying to get GP to record.

But here is the process for me to record: 1) I hit the Recorder button and if, after about 10 seconds, the Recording Options window has not opened, I hit the button again and repeat until the window opens. It can be the first time or the fifth. 2) I have the inputs that I want to record selected in Channel Selection and thank goodness I only have to do that once because that took a really really really long time the first time. Like 30 minutes. 3) Hit Start, it records immediately. And does a great job of it

If all of that works instantly for you then yes, there is a problem somewhere. And that is why am seeking help. I suspect that if Recording is not supposed to be sluggish, that perhaps this problem and the inputs/outputs problem maybe could be related?

Thanks for the advice on a separate instance, will try that. But can there be different buffer sizes for different instances? Isn’t that set in my driver software (MOTU Pro Audio Control) and applied to all software utilizing that driver?

When I have it in Panels screen, I have to keep the mouse away from all the buttons, like in a far corner. If I move the mouse, buttons just start turning off. They don’t turn back on though and knobs don’t turn.

I read the manual but I don’t always retain 100% of everything I read. Sorry that I am fallible :crazy_face:

But the option to change the midi channel for PC commands is in Options which isn’t very intuitive (and just about everything else in GP is pretty intuitive to me). So yes, I missed that. Sorry for wasting your time with that one.

My new problem with PC commands is that when I set a widget button to learn a button from my controller that is setup to transmit PC commands, the GP widget is not responding. It acts like it is not seeing it all, even though Bome shows that the command is being transmitted.

And yes, I realized some time ago that I am aiming to do things in a manner different from, well, just about everybody. It surprised me when I figured this out finally, because the way I want to work and create makes so much sense to me. But the reason I couldn’t get Reaper, Ableton, Bitwig or Calkwalk to work is because they aren’t able to be adapted beyond their specific paradigms. Which is why I am so grateful for GP. A couple weeks ago, before I started trying to setup this GP template, I was despairing, because I had gone all of this way and the last thing I needed to have work was not working.

But with GP it is and I am really am grateful for it.

1. Which audio interface are you using exactly, how are you connecting it to your computer and what is the driver version you’re using?
  2. How do you open GP eventually if it will not open “normall”?
  1. MOTU 16a and 8m, connected to each other via AVB Switch and to computer via TB3. Latest driver and firmware.

2. I lower the inputs and outputs until GP will open, that is how I settled at 64/72. Have the GP icon in my taskbar.

There’s really no reason why this should not work if your computer is up to date and your ASIO drivers are up to date on all devices.

The fact that it takes that long to just bring up the recording window tells me that “something” is holding up and not working correctly. I understand that you do have the latest, but which exact version of Windows are you running, and which version of the driver are you running?