New user - many questions

I’m just interjecting some “possibly” relevant info as when you mentioned AVB, a distant bell rang in my head about maximum stream counts over AVB (and was a reason I went down an entirely different route in my studio).

MOTU state this:

Q: Some MOTU AVB interface models can send and receive sixteen 8-channel AVB streams when operating at 44.1 or 48 kHz. How many streams can they handle at higher sample rates?

A: The 1248, 8M, 16A and 112D support 16 AVB streams at both 1x and 2x sample rates (128 channels of I/O). They support 8 streams at 4x (64 channels of I/O). This refers to the number of channels that the interface can send to, and receive from, the rest of the AVB network. In AVB parlance, a stream is a “bundle” of audio channels. In a MOTU system, each AVB stream holds 8 audio channels. So 16 streams represents 128 audio channels (16 x 8).

I don’t know how the virtual channels figure into this, as your current count of 64/72 is already136 channels,. I realise this may be entirely irrelevant to your particular setup. :slightly_smiling_face:

MOTU 4.0.8.9612 Firmware 1.3.5+1434

Win10 Pro 20H2 build 19042.1348

It’s a logical thought and a good one but I will counter it with a couple points

1. Reaper and Ableton see the extra inputs/outputs
  2. The 16A is the unit where the virtual tracks are setup (and is connected to computer via TB3). I have one AVB stream enabled in the 16a and 8m so that what comes into the 8m gets transmitted to the 16a.

So I could be wrong but I don’t think the virtual tracks are transmitting over AVB. Or I do not understand how it works?

1 Like

And I just had a thought and tested it and actually, I can increase the inputs as much as I want. So it is the outputs.

And it will open with 65 outputs. But not 66.

What mouse? Sounds very much like a misconfiguration somewhere and Windows thinks your mouse button is down when it’s not. I think that if this was a gig performer issue this would be getting reported all the time.

I don’t get it – why is it not intuitive that the option for something is found in the Options?

It’s a bluetooth mouse but after your question, I decided to try a USB mouse and it is doing it too. What Windows settings would cause this do you think?

I would expect it to be next to the place where you are selecting the PC number. So if I am saying “This Rackspace will respond to PC 4” then right next to it would be the midi channel selection, just like how it is when setting up the midi controller for a widget in the Edit panel

So you could set 16 different channels for 16 rackspaces - that makes no sense

I’m not saying I want to work that way, I just expected the midi channel information to be next to the PC number information, not in Options.

But hey, I get it, my brain works different. Y’all don’t have to keep hammering that into me :laughing:

This may be a long shot…but for the heck of it try changing your Graphics engine in Options/Display.

I haven’t the remotest idea

Actually just figured it out. It’s Momentary Touch. If enabled, just waving the mouse over them turns the buttons off. So need to get that turned off. Hey, Progress!

(And don’t know why it was on, didn’t select it that I can recall. But new user, must have at some point to turned that on by default)

1 Like

The channel is global - there is the reasonable assumption that PC numbers always arrive on the same channel. I’m unaware of any system that uses the channel number to distinguish PC values so not sure why we would want to. Generally, the only reason for a synth (for example) to respond to PC values on different channels is when the synth is a 16 channel multi-timbral system (like the combis on a Kronos, for example) so that you can address each individual synth channel. That doesn’t apply to GP

The nearest equivalent to a multi-timbral system in the GP world is where you have multiple instances of GP and in that situation you could certain arrange for each instance to respond on a different channel.

on Mac I cannot reproduce
can you upload a small gig file I can check?

But that implies that our brains must also work differently too.

I don’t think anybody is hammering – we’re all simply trying to answer your questions!

That all makes sense. On my controller, I specify which channel the PC message transmits on, didn’t know that PC message transmitted on all changes as a standard. Thanks.

Still can’t get the widget to recognize the PC message from my controller. Would it be because I am transmitting on a channel that is not ‘1’?

PC numbers are not passed through to widgets — they are handled directly by Gig Performer.

a widget cannot react on a pc message.

You left off the laughing emoji, I was having a laugh! No, I so much appreciate everyone and their help, you don’t know how much. I hardly ever get responses at the Reaper or Cakewalk forums, this is a breath fresh air

2 Likes