MODX7 or Fantom 07

Hi everyone. I’m new to Gig Performer and loving it so far.

I’ve been using it at home with a Roland FP10 digital piano and a Native Instruments SK61s as controllers and everything works just fine. The piano drops out sometimes but I’m planning on replacing it so I haven’t worried about it to much.

I thought I’d like to incorporate a hardware keyboard into my rig as a backup so I bought a MODX a couple of weeks ago and it is pretty much the exact opposite of GP in terms of ease of use. I’m not sure I want to keep it.

I know a large part of the problem is that I haven’t played for a long time and getting things hooked up is something I’m still learning. However, I’m keen on learning the shortest way between point A and point B.

I was wondering if anyone is using a Fantom 07 and how things are working out? Is the Fantom any easier to use as a midi controller. Can you layer the odd internal sound but predominantly use it with plugins running from GP?

Or, is anyone using the MODX and think it’s pretty straightforward? Or, does someone have both and can recommend from experience the easiest one to incorporate into a rig that will mostly run plug-ins in GP.

Thanks.

Hi @MichaelG and welcome to the forum.

I use a Fantom 07 as a controller in my setup (alongside a StudioLogic SL88) and do indeed mix sounds on the Fantom and those in GP split and layered on the Fantom and the SL88 and even controlling some Fantom sounds from the SL88 when it makes more sense to control it from a weighted action keybed.

I would be surprised if you couldn’t achieve the same with the MODX, but sometimes you don’t always gel with the workflow of an instrument.

You’ll find details of my setup here: Dave Boulden

Thanks Dave.

Much appreciated.

I had a look at your GP set-up and might use it as a guide if I get the Fantom 07.

I’m sure the MODX can do the same thing but something is just not clicking with me - admittedly mostly my lack of experience with modern boards (last one I had was a Juno 60).

Thanks again for your help.