Modulation send (Wheel) slows down note on messages

I have a weird problem. I tested on any other software and devices, and I have this situation only in GP.
I’m using Windows 10 latest version and Novation Kaypad 88, other specs I don’t think are necessary since its only midi I’m having issues, and only with Novation plus Gig Performer.
When I’m using a modulation wheel notes on are coming late while moving the wheel. sometimes even few seconds. If I’m not touching the modulation wheel everything works as expected. If I hold the note on and change the position of the Modulation Wheel and continue playing after also everything works fine. Only in situations where I’m playing at the same time while moving the modulation wheel notes are coming late. Noticeably late, few seconds late.
I tested with usb midi, din 5 pin midi, with different devices, different software, only problem is with Gig Performer and Novation in combination.
Someone had the same problem, or idea what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance.

Are you using scripting?
Does that happen with all plugins?

It’s just Midi in to Midi output, nothing in between. Novation midi in block, Kurzweil PC2R (I tried different devices on the output too) connected to the output block. Nothing else.
My guess is Novation is the problem, but what is confusing: it works normally when it’s not going through GP (Cubase or routing directly on midi interface for example). Thus, the midi interface is also not to blame.

It’s just Midi in to Midi output, nothing in between. Novation midi in block, Kurzweil PC2R (I tried different devices on the output too) connected to the output block. Nothing else.
I tried to put more details but can not (Error body is similar to the one previously posted)

It’s just Midi in to Midi output, nothing in between. Novation midi in block, Kurzweil PC2R (I tried different devices on the output too) connected to the output block.

No plugins, just midi in to midi out. No scripting.

Sorry for “spamming”. The system was returning the Error: body similar to the previously posted. :thinking:

when you connect your Novation directly to your Kurzweil and move the Modulation wheel and play notes then the issue does not occur?

How looks your global MIDI monitor Window in Gig Performer when you enable MIDI Out
and move the Modulation Wheel and play notes?

Exactly. Second question, I update the driver of the Midi interface, and now nothing works, so give me some time. :smiley:

I think I found the problem. I have four layers directed to four different channels, I blocked the modulation messages on non used layers, and the problem is not there anymore. Without blocking gig performer was sending 4 times modulation even the layer has blocked note on by the midi filter. Anyway I will not need modulation for more than two layers at one time, which is by my testing the maximum for some reason.

Do you have a simple single rackspace gigfile that demonstrates this issue? We’d like to take a look at it — it should be possible to send that larger quantity of messages

I can easily make it. As soon as I’m home I’ll send it. Yes, I agree that it should be able to send everything in time, but as I said, I have a problem only with Novation. other midi send able devices don’t have this problem (for example Roland XP-30 through 5pin midi connection works flawlessly).

Therefore I was asking what you can see in the global midi monitor window

Let me make sure I understand. You’re saying that if you send out through another controller, GP is properly handling the modulation messages on four layers? Does that work with other USB controllers or only with 5pin DIN?

I wrote a detailed info about testing that I did and just realized there is one more thing to try. So I’ve sent four different channels in Cubase from Novation to Kurzweil, and the problem is there as well. So again (like many times before on our both satisfaction) it’s not GP, but driver for Novation. Anyhow, I will test, just to be sure, one more stage piano tomorrow.

Yeah, that was going to be my next question. If a device is not class-compliant, you are dependent on good quality drivers which is not something guaranteee….sigh

Thanks for the update though. It’s much appreciated

So, first of all it much appreciated what you guys are doing with GP for us, and making our job much much easier. Probably I speak for most of us here, I couldn’t imagine live performance without GP anymore.
I tested today Kawai via usb Class-Compliant midi, and everything works good.
But…
If it is the driver, which both of us are suspecting, how come I have the problem with 5pin Midi output on Novation too (that way I’m using the midi interface driver, not Novation one)? Also, why there is a change if the midi is routed only to one midi output block (and works fine) vs. routing to four of them (not working)? Midi input in both situation stays the same.
It’s definitely Novation to blame, but why? :grinning:

You’d have to ask them — maybe they’re shoving bogus data into the stream.

Thank you