MIDI is working but nothing on MIDI Monitor!

all my pedals are working and recognized within gig performer - e.g. when i click the “learn controller” button. however, nothing is showing in the MIDI monitor - ANY LONGER, because it worked fine in the beginning, and now is not showing anything any longer. seems like a rather individual bug to me, any similar experience?

thanks for reading & all replies!

MACBOOK PRO 2015
OS 10.15.7
LINDY USB HUB
SOFTSTEP2 & LEHLE PEDALS

Which MIDI monitor - the global MIDI monitor or a midi monitor plugin connected to your MIDI In block (say)?

the global one - i can plug in either whatever plugin midi send or omni. it was working just fine and all of a sudden stopped! (also tried deleting, rebuilding and rewiring.)

If the global MIDI monitor is not showing any activity, how exactly do you know that MIDI is working?

as i wrote all pedals are working and are recognized e.g. via learn buttons. however, in my workflow i need to know / see what exactly is going on midi-wise!! thx *

ok - so what exactly is wrong? Or should this topic be deleted as erroneous?

my problem is not that pedals etc. are not working or recognized, but a missing midi message data monitor. there is a “midi monitor” element that used to display the incoming types of midi messages - as it is supposed to - either from the omni or other midi inputs. it now all of a sudden stays empty meaning it does not react or show anything, even though midi messages are incoming. for some controller setup tasks, i need to see what exactly is coming in now, so it is bothering me very much.

When you use your pedal is there a small flickering light in the very top right of your GP screen?

This is working as designed. I think you’re confused about MIDI Monitors

There is a Global MIDI Monitor which shows everything coming into Gig Performer itself.

That is a plugin (just like any other plugin) - I assume this is what you’re talking about - and it shows whatever is coming through the MIDI In block.
screenshot_6686

But if you learn a MIDI message, then that message will not be handled by MIDI In blocks which is why you can’t see it. In other words, when you learn a MIDI message, the message is handled by Gig Performer itself and is no longer available to be sent into synth plugins, which is why it no longer comes out of a MIDI In block. That is what you generally want – if you’re controlling widgets from your MIDI pedals, you generally do not want those MIDI messages to go into your synth plugin.

3 Likes

did not know! so in other words, as soon as i connect a pedal to a widget, it stops showing up there! thanks you for taking your time - watched and read quite a bit but could not figure this one out…

Also note that you have the “MIDI Thru” feature.
See here: Widget Properties inspector

2 Likes

Right but that should not normally be enabled because you generally do not want the messages produced by your control pedals to pass through to the synth plugin,

2 Likes