MIDI Harmonizer plugin recommendation?

I’m curious if you found anything good.
I’m looking for a harmonizer plug that can “listen” to what chord I play on MIDI ch1 and add a harmony to the solo I play on ch2. I get the impression most harmonizers require that you predefine a key and scale which doesn’t work for me in this case.
I have a song that goes from Fmaj to Bb major the first round, but Fmaj to Bb minor the second round.
This function is available in any amateur home keyboard, but it seems impossible o find a vst that does the same. Or is it?

Take a look at this, maybe it helps:

Thanks! It doesn’t seem to solve my issue, though. It seems to do what all chorders do, it plays what you’ve predefined. I need the harmonizer to listen to my left hand chord and add a harmony to my right hand melody in real time.
If my left hand plays a C major chord and my right hand plays the note C, it should add (for example) an E. If I play a C minor, it should add an Eb.

Another one?
http://softarranger.com/

Maybe I should just learn to play… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That is a really good idea…

I use Antares Harmony Engine 4.1 for harmonies. There are a lot of options to accomplish what you want. I believe you can accomplish what you need to do. I have used the scripting language to help me do some pretty complex things as well, you could analyze the midi notes you are playing in the left hand, and use that information to tell Harmony Engine what to play. Might be a bit of work if you aren’t a programmer already.

1 Like

Did a fair bit of research last year looking for exactly the same thing. MIDIChords and MIDIMood didn’t seem to have what I was needing, but Obelisk from Frozen Plain did. Been using it for almost a year and have no complaints.

2 Likes

Interesting. I have a nice strong sample set from Frozen Plain thst I like a lot. I’ll check out that arpeggiator

Interesting as I use midiChords by piz every single gig and it has been rock solid. It allows me to play one part and pull off multiple other parts. It’s my secret weapon, if I have one!

Most “Chord” tools constrain you to a specific chord. I like midiChords because I can map any input note to any arbitrary combination of output notes. You can even specify which MIDI channel for each output note so I can trigger multiple notes on multiple instruments.

The only problem with using triggers like this is when a new singer shows up and you have to play in a new key on a moment’s notice. midiChords has a transpose feature so I don’t have to remap every trigger. Set the transpose and go. It is outstanding.

I used that before CTHULHU.
I faced some crashes in Gig Performer where the crash report blamed midiChords.

As far as I can tell from looking at it,it seems to be a harmonizer. Does it have actual multi octave arpeggiation too?

I’ve actually found something that might be exactly what I’ve been looking for!
Slight problem is that it crashes GP instantly… I’m in contact with the developer (as if I could contribute with anything of value…) and the crash report should’ve be sent to you GP guys.

Just scale aware harmonization, which was all I needed for the immediate purpose.

Found this

Apologies for not thinking of this earlier. I’ve had Obelisk for awhile, but hadn’t used it yet. Installed, but collecting dust. Thanks, Paul.