Midi controllers

I am a new gig performer user.
I was wondering how i could use my computer external keyboard as a midi controler. My midi controller does not have enough buttons for what I am trying to do.

KIndly assist.

With a little scripting you can react on pressing keys on your computer keyboard

1 Like

Welcome!!

2 Likes

An example of such a gig script you can find in this blog article: https://gigperformer.com/the-most-flexible-midi-processing/

1 Like

Hi @JOsh, perhaps you could explain us what exactly you would like to do?

2 Likes

Something basic like being able to activate new instrument sounds using my pc keyboard among other things. Nothing complicated, As I said I am just a newbie.

How do you plan to do this exactly ? Having your instruments in different rackspaces and switching from one to the other ? By sending program changes to your plugins ?

How do you do things you want to do with the few buttons you have on your controller ?

Yeah. Bypassing some instruments and switching others on. And sending program changes. I wanna do the same using my keyboard(pc)

Using GPScript you can catch keystrokes and do something. But unlike buttons of your MIDI controller, which usually send a MIDI value 127 when pushed and a value 0 when released, keystrokes don’t have a release value. We could imagine a GPScript sending a CC# message with value 127 each time a keystroke is detected. But this would mean that the only option to control a widget with this is to have the momentary to latching option enable. We could also imagine a GPScript sending a CC# message with value 127 and a 0 after a short period of time to simulate the detection of a released key. Well, this is not something natural. So, I am wondering if, as a new user, you wouldn’t rather start with the regular GP functions ?

There is also another option using a Scriptlet, if you need a few more buttons you don’t have on your MIDI controller:

I have downloaded that but how can i use that scriptlet on my custom rackspace. Each time I open the file, it loads as a new gig.

Here is my suggestion: M-Audio Midiman Oxygen 8 USB Controller MIDI Keyboard | eBay