Media Player - Varying track lengths - a question

Hi all,

I have a question about the media player.

In my set-up I have one media player which contains 2 backing tracks

Lane 1 = Instruments (master)
Lane 2 = Percussion

Both set to multi

I use two lanes so I can drop out either instruments or percussion at will.

However, if I want to add a third track containing a shorter section of the basic groove, looping for improvised performance, do I have to add a second media player? I don’t really want to, it just adds to complexity as I already use a quantize script. However, because the groove section is shorter I cannot see a way to use all the media files in one media player?

We use a lot of improvisation in our performance and I need to find a way to seamlessly move into a basic groove loop, quantised, without getting overly complicated.

Any ideas most helpful!
Thankyou

I use

As I know the loop length is defined by the lane with the longest duration.

2 Likes

Pianopaul is right.
I’d say the easiest way would be to simply make a longer version of the new track, using the audio editor of your choice…

5 Likes

Yes - sometimes the most obvious solutions are the best! Thank you - done

2 Likes

So…about to make this simple solution more complicated!

With reference to previous posts in this thread. Supposing I have (as above) created an equal length media track containing just the “groove” to allow for improvisation during performance. This track can be invoked at any time during performance, and then ended, with the main backing track starting again.

Is there a way to choose to go back to the start of the backing track, or, continue where it left off. Currently I can invoke the one track (lane) containing the “groove” track, but the remaining tracks keep sync. I also use the quantisation script to keep things on the beat. Trouble is, if we do a long improv, the song backing track has also travelled - to the end of the song nearly!

Is there a way to temporarily stop the other tracks while the improv track is playing.

Have a look at this rackspace, maybe it’s helpful for your needs…

3 Likes

oooooh - going to have a look, thank you

1 Like