Lemur Bi-directional communication is now only one way

No, I did not know that. There’s a lot regarding OSC that I don’t know. BUT, when I quit Protokol and then changed the port numbers on Lemur and GP to 54376, the bi-directional communication was re-established and once again works as intended. It’s a Festivus miracle!

Nothing to do with OSC – only one network application can listen on any given port

If it works with a different port then either

• some process is stuck with the other port open
    Try running netstat -p udp from a terminal window and you’ll see if the port is already in use

or

• some firewall or permission issue is blocking it. Did you try try rebooting
1 Like

My firewall isn’t on, and I’ve rebooted many times in the last few days, but you’re right. Something else is indeed hogging port 54344.

Try the command

lsof -i :54344

That should tell you the name of the application using that port

1 Like

Ah, it’s something from Waves, which I updated about the same time that the communication breakdown began. I’ll wager it has something to do with why GP scans the Waveshell at every launch.

Look at the filtering field I used here:

Wireshark is a very powerful tool which knows about the OSC protocol and can sniff it transparently, but there are other useful OSC monitoring application available. See here:

Can you confirm this? If Waves has started using the same port we are using, users need to know about it.

1 Like

Yes, this was the post that sent me to download Wireshark, as well as Osculator.

Apparently, things have changed since shutting down last night. Could not confirm Waves was using port 54344, but GP was no longer responding to 54376. I changed both apps port numbers back to 54344 and connection was re-established. Then I ran your command on both port numbers and got these results.

That’s bizarre — so now Waves started using the other random port that you chose?

That’s certainly how it appears.

You should reach out to Waves and ask them what they’re doing with UDP ports at random values

I’ve got a phone meeting in 15 minutes, will contact them directly afterward.

I’ve just sent a description of the issue to Waves, though from my experience they don’t respond as quickly as the Gig Performer gurus.

In the meantime you will have plenty of time to play and properly configure wireshark. Perhaps it could tell you when the Wave plugin start to use the port…

Hi David-san,
Thanks for sending the Wireshark filter specs. Spent yesterday working on the music I should’ve been doing the past week, but this morning the same thing happened with Waves local taking over the GP listening port. This udp issue is way out of my knowledge and comfort zone, but tried applying your filter and got a syntax error. Please check my screenshot, did I mistype something?

The last character is a closing ROUND bracket and not the SQUARE bracket you used :wink:

Ah, thanks. The devils in the details and programming is unforgiving when it comes to syntax. Tried again entering capture filter in Wireshark, but still got a syntax error. Perhaps a space? Screenshot attached. Also, found out some very interesting empirical info this morning. Launched Lemur and Gig Performer, ran Terminal and noticed GP and Waves again using the same port (second screenshot). Opened my OSC test gig, which uses no Waves plugins and bi-directional communication between the two worked normally. Then I opened my performance gig, which does use Waves. The load hung and I had to force quit GP. Finally made the connection that this had happened a few times before, always at the same point during rackspace loading. A quick check down each rackspace’s wiring showed that the first rackspace to use a Waves plugin loaded, but it hung at the second rackspace containing Waves. After force quitting, a second load attempt always succeeded, but the bi-directional communication was lost until I changed the listening port number on GP and Lemur. Not sure what it means, but found it quite curious.

Don’t put anything in this field, but in the filter display field (look at my screenshot) once the capture is started. It would be nice to catch the first time the wave plugin grabs this port…

Also, I’m curious as to how Waves manages to create a port using the same number or one just close to ours.

Can you try changing the GP port to something radically different, e.g., 6754 and see what Waves does

1 Like