Subject: Korg Triton VST3 Preset Recall Bug (Reverts to 00 Noisey Stabber) - Best Fix?
Hey everyone,
I’m running into a frustrating state-recall issue with the Korg Collection Triton VST3 and wanted to see how the community is currently handling it for live rigs.
I rely heavily on the Triton for my LH bass and MIDI bass pedals. Randomly, when switching rackspaces or loading up, the plugin drops its saved state and reverts to the initialization patch (“00 Noisey Stabber” / A000). I am running this across an Apple Silicon rig (M4 Mac) and a 2019 Intel Mac backup, and seeing the same behavior.
I’ve used the Global MIDI Monitor to verify it’s not a rogue PC 0 message coming from my physical controllers—it is definitely the plugin failing to recall its state.
I’m currently weighing a few different workarounds and would love your input on which is the most bulletproof:
1. The “On Activate” PC Push: Going into the MIDI In block for every instance and setting it to send the specific Bank/PC message to the plugin the millisecond the rackspace activates.
2. Rolling back to v1.4.1: I’ve read that this bug was introduced in v1.4.3 and still isn’t fully resolved in v1.4.5.
3. Switching to Triton Extreme: I’ve heard the Extreme VST3 is slightly more stable, but I’m not sure if it’s 100% immune to this same bug.
Before I go through the hassle of requesting legacy installers from Korg or manually rebuilding all my MIDI In blocks with the “On Activate” method, what has been the most fail-safe fix for you guys? Does the GP “On Activate” push ever misfire, or is rolling back to v1.4.1 the only true permanent fix?
Have you read through the thread below? It sounds like the same issue. The most recent update was 1.4.7. LuisatKorg said 1.4.5 still had problems but everything was fixed in 1.4.7. It also has links to the older patch 1.4.1 if you want that, and (I think) a link to the Korg forum that discussed that particular bug.
After reading the thread, I’m leaning towards reverting to 1.4.1. If that doesn’t work, I’ll try installing 1.4.7 and adding PC commands to all Korg Collection sounds. I don’t switch presets within each rack. If no luck, I will dump Korg Collections for now, and search for other plug-in bass keyboard sounds other than from Korg Collection and replace them. (Probably the best solution at this point. But I’ve done that before, and like Korg the best… )
Long Post Alert. I already had the latest 1.4.7 version installed. I did try AU, VST3, and VST(1) versions. None fixed the total recall issue. Rather than reverting back to 1.4.1, and having to rebuild my sounds (for some reason I can’t save my patches in standalone mode as suggested) I decided to go with the GP Presets function (GP save preset function within the plugin - top right menu) to reload any misloaded Triton presets. This GP Prest function saves me having to Browse and pick each preset, and way easier to recall any misloaded Korg presets in wiring mode. Then I must double-check in the Setlist. Repeat as necessary. Once the SETLIST is all good, then I DON’T switch out of it, and I’m ggod to go for the show… (I can monitor through the RME audio interface as needed)
I’m sure I’ll get this fixed one way or another soon!!
Note: I use a GP rack for each song, with different variations controlling sound levels, mixes, etc. I don’t switch sound presets within a single plugin. I’ll have a separate plugin with a different sound, and use an audio mixer within GP. I use SETLIST to step through the songs and variations using a Blackstar Live Logic USB MIDI Controller (6-button footswitch) with buttons 1 and 2 to step through variations, buttons 5 and 6 to step through songs (button 3 a Leslie on / off, and button 4 is my PANIC button). The problem I was having is that when I call up a GIG, some of the Korg Collection patches revert to 00. I would fix them in wiring mode, and then switch to setlist, double check the set and some of them might have reverted back to 00 again upon switching from wiring to setlilist. After a few times, I can get it right so SETLIST plays properly, and I don’t switch off of setlist.
Obviously, using a different BASS SOUND other than in TRITON (KORG COLLECTION) would solve my issue (This is a TRITON KORG COLLECTION issue, not GP.) But I’ve spent days trying to find a better BASS sound for what I need, and believe it or not, I can’t find one that comes even close. I tried to get close with Triton Extreme, and it just sounds like A**. (I’ve been widdling away at this Zepplein key bass pedal sound for decades, and I don’t ever want to go backward… LOL)