Jam session keys setup

Hi guys!
I’ve been using GigPerformer successfully for many gigs now as a keyboard player. I usually have two keyboard controllers (Studiologic SL 73 Studio and IK Multimedia iRig Keys I/O 49 with an onboard audio interface). So far, I’ve been using per-song rackspaces with variations for song parts. This works great for well-rehearsed songs and predefined set-lists, where a lot of work can be put in beforehand to design each rackspace to suit the needs for each song.

Now, I have a somewhat different gig coming up, more like a blues jam session type of performance. Therefore, I need to set things up differently. I’m using all VSTs btw, and I consider to keep the number of VSTs down to an organ (B3-X) a piano (PianoTek) a rhodes/wurly (AAS Lounge Lizard EP-4), and a analog synth (either Arturia Analog Lab or IK Syntronik), and maybe a clavinet in e.g. PianoTek.

It would be great to hear what expericences you guys have in similar situations. Let’s say the mood calls for a Rhodes on the SL73 and a organ patch on the iRig keyboard, and half-way through the song the band members point at me to do an analog synth solo, while still laying down chords on the rhodes. I would then need to be able to switch sounds on the iRig independently from the SL73 (perhaps using the “drum-pads” on the iRig). On another song I might start with a piano patch on the SL73 and a wurlie on the iRig, but then I want to switch to a soft organ on the iRig (again switching sounds using the “drum-pads”). When it gets loud, I might want to pull out some drawbars on the organ (maybe by using key-switch presets on the B3-X?).

You get the idea, that the set-up should be somewhat flexible to do on-the-hook changes (much like if I had the original instruments at hand) but not too complicated so that I get lost while playing. How would you set this up? A single rackspace, variations, or program changes, or combinations of those…? Jamming with GP is a new situation for me, so any advice is greatly appreciated!

All the best,
Magnus

2 Likes

You could use multiple instances.
One is connected to the Studiologic and the other the IK Multimedia.
On both instances you have rackspaces with your single sounds.
Then you can easily switch the sounds in the desired instance.

I think that could work when you do not need splits.

2 Likes

Ah, I didn’t think of that. Sounds like a good way to keep the two keyboards separated. Will try!

Thanks,
Magnus

I am trying out the option to use two separate instances for the two controllers, but the second instance is not recieving any midi. Not sure if im doing something wrong. I have two midi inpput blocks, one for the SL73 (in the first GP instance) and one for the iRig (in the second GP instance). The first instace works fine, but the second is silent and no midi coming through (checked with the midi monitor). My audio device (built in the iRig) can handle multiple instances as far as i understand. At least I can run GP and eg Spotify simultaneously… I run GP 4, so the ability to run separate instances should be activated by default? I find no settings for this in the preferences.

I suppose that you are on Windows then, and that your MIDI driver is single-client.
In that case: Sending MIDI from one device to multiple programs

Thanks Nemanja, i did not know that a midi driver could be single or multi… I will have to try this tip!

More info here: https://gigperformer.com/how-to-use-a-single-client-asio-driver-with-multiple-applications-on-windows/

That might be a good suggestion for a new GP Feature Request. I love setlist mode.

But, a “Jam Mode” would be great. It would sort of be similar to setlist mode, but give you more flexibility to quickly switch to any rackspace/variation (in your Gig Gile) you want. (I would think Predictive Loading would probably not work in this mode).

So, in my mind, it would basically have a grid with radio buttons where you can pick whatever rackspace/variation you want (you can assign buttons to your controller or a key on your keybaord). So, in real time you can switch to whatever rackspace/variation you want.

Just a thought…

Jeff

That is already possible with a controller.
In the global options for SetList you can learn a midi controller for different song parts.

1 Like

Thanks, maybe that would be an option for Magsid. Basically he could set up song parts representing every permutation he might want to access in real time and associate controller buttons to each one.

An “extended” Jam Setup with GP would be a great enhancement.

A setup with multiple GP instances is a good starting point. Eg a separate Organ instance gives you the option to change the organ setup using different rackspaces / variations independent from a Synth or Stagepiano sound provided by a different GP instance.

I tried this setup (initially driven due to CPU load problems on an old MAC) using BlueCat Connect for audio / midi as well as ICA bus for midi but discovered many problems when i tried to mange the setup via a MAIN GP instance and finally returned to one GP instance with CPU issues and less Jam flexibility.

Beside the Midi / Audio interlock the main issue was the missing status feedback of widgets from the Sub- to the Main-GPInstance: eg the change of the Leslie speed after switching to another organ rackspace.

May be most of the issues / concern can be fixed via a workaround or scripting or extention, BUT it would be great to have an easy and simple to use Sub-Instance Support within GP: Sub-Instances integrated like the Global Rackspace.

I also have my rehearsal GP setup. If we start jamming, I would have additional instances of GP, but usually don’t start them, as it takes a while to load all the rackspaces.
A Jam Setup would definitely be nice! Not sure how to realise it, here some ideas:

• Next to Setlist, there’s a new tab Jam
  • From the known Midi Controllers, you configure which ones you want to see
  • For each of the shown controllers there’s a dropdown
    • The dropdown allows to select one of the available rackspaces
    • This enables you to select any Rackspace for each of the controllers

There will be some challenges, though:

• This configuration would override the configured Midi Inputs in the Wiring view of a Rackspace with the selected Midi Controller
    • If a Rackspace contains two Midi Inputs and two plugins / synths, then both are overridden, and pressing one key on the Midi Controller would trigger to play a sound on both plugins / synths. Probably not a problem, it’s just like this.
  • In the Rig Setup
    • You can define an Alias for Frequency, but only one alias is supported with this name
    • If you have two controllers, then you may want to use the same alias on both of them, especially if switch rackspaces as explained above.
    • If an alias would be linked to a controller, then it would be possible to have an alias Frequency for Controller 1 and another alias Frequency for Controller 2
    • LIke this, the hardware controllers on controller 1 and 2 for frequency are supported with the same Alias Frequency, regardless of which controller you currently use