Is GP for me?

Hi

I’m searching if GP is the right software for me to use live on stage. Let me first explain my gear:

On stage I use a Nord Stage 3 and Yamaha Motif XS. Everything is connected to an Ipad with Forscore, Forscore sends program changes for each song, so I don’t have to select presets manually.
In some songs I use Ableton for backing tracks (e.g. strings, brass). Mostly I download a midi file of the song,import in Ableton and let the Motif “play” the midi file. I record the output in Ableton to an audio track for CPU useage (midi uses more). So all backing tracks are audio tracks in Ableton. There is only 1 midi track, and that is the click track for the guy who plays the drums (as a sound for the click track I use a preset of Ableton). I use Ableton in Session view and each song is a scene. I don’t work with verse or chorus, each instrument in the backing track is 1 clip and in 1 clip is the whole song. This works OK, but laptopscreen is small on stage and to start a scene with the mouse is just not perfect.

I also use Nexus 3 (vst plugin in Ableton). A lot of times I want to use Nexus 3 not for the backing tracks, but just the presets to play live. There is a problem, because Nexus can’t receive program changes. I don’t have time on stage to open Nexus in Ableton and to select the correct preset.

Is GP a solution for me? Can you use GP with click track and select fast correct presets in Nexus? And how does it work when you sync Ableton and GP?

A lot of questions, I hope you can give me more information.

Thanks

I think @pianopaul, from this community forum, uses GP with Live a bit like you plan to use it. So, definitely yes! :wink:

Give GP a try…

1 Like

I am using Ableton Live for Backing Tracks and controlling GrandVJ for visuals.
With OSC and LINK this combination is working perfect together.

For controlling GP and start/stop and switch rackspaces I am using S88 II from Native Instruments.

And with GP you can seemless swtich between sounds.
As in each rackspace the state of plugins is stored it is no problem to switch sounds of a Nexus.

Feel free to ask :wink:

3 Likes

I read in the specs you can link Ableton and GP together. What does this mean? The backing tracks are in Ableton and with GP you start (in my case) a scene in Ableton?

OK, that’s a longer story :wink:

In Ableton Live I have the scenes.
Each scene is for a song, so no need to load different Live Sets.

In Ableton I am using a M4L Patch wich reacts on incoming OSC messages to locate the desired scene and fire it.
Also the levels of the backing tracks are controlled by incoming OSC messages.

In GP when a rackspace is switched an OSC message is sent to Ableton to locate the desired scene.
When the Play button on my S88 is pressed, the global play in GP is started and again an OSC message is sent to Ableton to fire the selected scene.

As LINK is enabled in Ableton Live and GP the tempo of both is automatically set to the tempo of the scene in Ableton Live.

When I press the stop button on my S88 the global play is stopped in GP and so is stopped in Ableton.

Take a look at this thread, I uploaded a sample gig and the M4L patch

Sync Ableton Live with Gig Performer

1 Like

That’s perfect. In that way you can use the best of both!

I’m just exploring the functions of GP. WHen I understand correctly is a rackspace a song in GP with all the things defined. So in a rackspace there is defined what scene has to be started in Ableton, which preset of the VST has to be selected, outputs and so on. Is it possible to select the correct rackspace by a midi message and to start the global play in GP (and in the end the correct scene in Ableton)?

I ask this because Forscore on my Ipad is controlling everything except Ableton. You can’t start a scene in Ableton with a midi message. Forscore can send program changes and HEX messages.

Yes, but to be exact: With a PC message you can select a so called “Variation” in a rackspace.
And you can MIDI map the Global Play of GP to another message, for example a CC message.

I think it’s time to download the trial version of GP and start exploring!

4 Likes

That will be the best decision you make today :wink:

1 Like

I checked Forscore and it is only possible to send a program change message or a HEX message. No CC message. So it is not possible to select a song in GP and start playing by sending a message out of Forscore.

With scripting in Gig Performer everything is posssible :wink:

For example play could be automatically started when a rackspace is activated.

Just an idea: Why not send messages from GP to forScore?

I want to prevent to use to much manually the computer on stage. In Forscore I have the setlist. With a footpedal I can switch to the next score and everything is arranged automatically. It is also possible to but a button on the score . When you push it, Forscore can send a midi message.

What controller do you use to play your sounds?

Ok, so could send a PC message from forScore to select a variation in gig performer.
Can you define a button to send hex messages?
This way you could define a cc message and assign that message to the global play.

In this moment none. Because of Corona we don’t play on stage for a very long time. Before I used a Akai MPC Live. But has for my purposes limitations. Thats why I went to Ableton and for constructing backing tracks is perfect. I was looking for a controller to start the scenes. But didn’t find the one that fits me yet.

The Nord Stage, Motif and Ipad are all connected by midi. So to play Nexus I mostly use the Motif.

Yes, with a push on the button you can send a HEX message

The hex code for an example controller message
B1 55 FF

Try to send that forScore and in Gig Performer learn it to the play

Thanks!!! I’m going to try and will let you know if it works. HEX messages are for me chinees. I use them also tonsend messages to the Motif to define midi channels and performance modes. But without the manual it’s just not possible.

Is B1 55 FF the whole message or is there also a prefix or suffix?