Is Gig Performer + vst's really a viable live solution compared to new synth?

Will keep you in mind if I’m looking for some sun;)

Anyway on the Gig Performer front…spent the cash tonight…and have joined the ‘family’!

Had our first practice tonight with the band…so brought the whole show…bass guitar, xp 80, laptop, audio interface plugged it all in…wasn’t that much mucking around…then turned it on, pressed the first key…and…

nothing…not a sound…could see midi coming in within the vst…could see the outs were right…could play a file from the pc and hear noise…but nothing from the audio interface!!

And after head scratching…learned something new…

I apparently plugged into a different usb port…and it treated it like a whole new midi input…so all my midi inputs were up the creek…

.so first trap for beginners…plug the cable into the same usb port! (also learned it is a good idea to take my headphones with for troubleshooting!)

After that things went really well! Sounds were great…the whole thing was rock solid and didn’t skip a beat…I just need to get my racks set up right now…

2 questions that arose while we explored what ‘racks’ would work for what songs…

1.) Is there a way to program specific midi buttons to specific rack numbers? I know I can go up and down…but I’d like to use the 8 buttons on the front of the xp 80 to correspond with 8 common racks.

2.) I had some difficulty adding meters and getting it to show the level coming in…is that possible? I need to experiment more…but that would be handy from the point of view of knowing if I had a signal issue on the input or output side.

Anyway all in all it was a good first session…and a solid base to build on…

they want bagpipes for the Copperhead road intro…so off to find some!

Thanks!

Welcome to the family - glad to have you!

Good old Windows!

Check out Rig Manager — use aliases names instead of raw MIDI Device names.

See this blog article
https://gigperformer.com/the-rig-manager/

Also, see user guide about rig manager

Several ways to do this depending on whether your buttons are configurable.

1. If you can reprogram them to send Program Change messages out, it’s trivial
  2. Switch to Song view, create a song with 8 parts, attach each rackspace to a different part then associate each button with a different song part. This works great if your buttons send out different CC numbers (which is very likely the default)
    screenshot_544

Input and output audio levels are shown for all channels in the bottom panel of GP
screenshot_543

Thanks for the welcome and tips dhj…

That song rack idea is great…I was thinking I’d be limited to 8 custom buttons… But essentially I can use multiple ‘songs’ set up for patch genres…

Eg… Piano sounds - and then 8 variations…
Organ sounds - 8 variations…

Thanks for the tip re alias names… Will definitely set this up.

Also with the meters…I noticed I can drag over a meter widget… So far though it hasn’t really been doing anything for me… But I may just need to program it right… Will do some more playing with that.

Thanks all… I’d been considering buying a hardware expansion set for my xp80…I feel like I’ve just given it the ultimate expansion card with a PC in the mix and Gig Performer really streamlining the process.
( And looks like I’ve avoided needing to spend several k on a MacBook!)

Darn - I knew we weren’t charging enough for Gig Performer!

1. Insert (for example) a Gain and Balance block (you could also use Audio Mixer). Here I just connected the microphone inputs into it

1. Drag a meter in, select it, then choose the Gain and Balance plugin. Then select the Channel 1 Magnitude parameter

screenshot_3875

Thanks…that makes perfect sense!

Appreciate the great support…thank you!

Ok…have had a play with this…this looks like it solves the problem for individual buttons on the Xp80…great feature…but does this work for the entire keyboard?

When I plug into one usb slot the Roland Um-one (my input lead)…gets called Um-One 4…but if I go into another slot…it becomes Um-One 3.

Does this rig solution solve that? Or is this more just for individual buttons on the xp80. I can’t see how I would assign the entire keyboard?

At the moment it looks like I simply have to make sure I plug back into the exact same usb port?Thinking about…it probably is a useful thing anyway…if I had 2 keyboards…you just use the port to distinguish them. thanks.

When you plug in to a different port and you get another name:
Just associate that other device to your global name and you are done.

And you can make different rigs so you have just to select the correct rig for your actual keyboard.
I do that all the time, in rehearsals I am using a Doepfer Masterkeyboard and live I am using a S88 MKII from native instruments.
With the rig manager and global names it is just 1 switch and all mapping is fine.

Thanks pianopaul…will check that out…very helpful… I’ve got a Behringer X Touch mini on order too…as it looks like it will complement the xp80 faders well.

How do you find the S88 MkII? I’d been considering that along with the Ultimate Bundle…don’t have many Native Instruments sounds at all.

Also…can I ask how would you go about adding a bit of aftertouch effect to a piano or organ. (in terms of what effect to apply and adjust) I’ve been trying to do this with some Tremolo or Vibrato…struggling to find one that works well for me at the moment…so am curious about how others are achieving this…or which particular vst you’d recommend.
Here is my first go at a setup for Pads, Piano and Bass…am enjoying the meters now working and being easily able to adjust all these levels. Thanks for all the tips!

I am total happy with S88 MKII.
The new keybed is much better than MK I.
I also use the Doepfer LMK4+ aund the S88 is not far behind, but does not have that heavy weight.

Are you searching for a plugin that gives you Tremolo?

Thanks…Is all that integration with the instruments useful…ie. the coloured key switch indicators? And does some of that functionality cross over to none native instrument vsts?

With Gig Performer I do not use Komplete Kontrol, so no keyzones etc.
I do that all in Gig Performer, this way it is super easy to replace the controlling Keyboard.

Ok…good to know. I think I’m probably better off learning what I’ve got first…haven’t really scratched the surface of Omnisphere yet! Thanks…time for sleep here in Australia…gets addictive all this exploration! Thanks!

Yes I am… If anyone has a tip on a good free or cheap one would be great… I’ve got one working a bit… Just sounds a bit strange…

So when you need to change the particular sound of an instrument…articulations… What method do you use Pianopaul? Foot pedal? Controller? Just curious on what you’ve found the easiest way to do this… And then keep track of it all. I liked the look of the way Komplete Kontrol just lit up all the colours… But again would be great to save buying a whole new keyboard! Thanks.

tremolo: Soundtoys

I am doing sound changes with variations and scripting

you could also take a look at this:

Switching articulation of instruments

Thanks… Will check that out! I saw someone make up a controller like this for Lightroom… May try the same thing for GG.

For basic effects, look at MeldaProduction’s free bundle here:

https://www.meldaproduction.com/MFreeFXBundle

It includes tremolo and all the effects I’ve looked at in the bundle have been very serviceable.

HTH,

Ezra

2 Likes

Thanks Ezra…I’m just looking around at the various Black Friday specials…

I’m actually fairly new to all this…so not too sure what even would be worth getting…Compressors and Reverb and Delays…Tremolo…Vibrato…a lot to get the head around!

If anyone hears of any great ‘one shop’ value for money bundles I’d be interested…but for the moment will definitely try out that MFreeFX bundle. Thanks

Edit: I did see this…don’t know if it is any good…but 92% off certainly sounds cheap!!

You have to test first.
Most of the Waves Plugins I know introduce an additional latency of about 5 msec.

On Plugin Alliance you find superb plugins, most if not all do have 0 msec latency.
You have a trial period of 10 or 14 days and they do have a subscription bundle.

2 Likes