Is Gig Performer + vst's really a viable live solution compared to new synth?

+1 for this suggestion! :+1:
Just go ahead and give them a try.

If you’re really new to all the VST instruments and effects, I’d suggest starting with a short list of simple, basic, and free stuff. I’ll suggest Blue Cat’s freeware plugins.

Here’s my brief word of caution: there’s a nearly infinite list of these things, and if you’re prone to the thrill of superficial exploration and then moving on to the next thing, it can be addictive, unrewarding, and ultimately frustrating and unsatisfying. A bit like talking to that cute girl at the bar, half listening to her, then spotting an exotic looking beauty across the room and giving that one a shot.

I’m not disputing that it’s enjoyable and addictive. You just have to reflect on your bigger picture goals and be honest with yourself about whether indulging the lust for new toys is helping or merely distracting.

I’ve vastly cut down the number of VSTs I use over the years, and it’s definitely made me a better musician and increased my enjoyment of playing. Your mileage, of course, may vary.

Thanks for this… very wise words… Could easily get caught up in vst seduction.

I think I’ll stick with what I have and the free options mentioned…

Frankly practicing my scales and the songs we’re playing + maximising what I already own is going to be a lot better use of my time…

Thanks… I’ll consider Gig Performer my purchase and focus on developing my GG rig + practicing!

1 Like

I just did a rescan while testing something yesterday ---- 1,286 plugins later…sigh

Only 1286?

1 Like

Yeah, and some will have been duplicates (AU, VST, VST3 versions) but even so, I’ve no idea what plugins I’ve got any more. On more than one occasion I have found a cool plugin online and decided to buy it only to discover that I already had it. :sleepy:

1 Like

On the other side, you have to try plugins over a period of time to know what really works.
Like edison said, he did not loose he just found thousands of ways which do not work

So as a matter of interest… If you were playing typical classic covers… And you had to give away your 1286 vsts… But allowed to keep the main instruments like your pianos and organs, Rhodes etc… + 5 effects vsts… What would they be?

What 5 effects plug ins would be your absolute go tos on a regular basis?

A compressor? A reverb? A delay? A tremolo and vibrato? Done?

I’m just trying to figure out aside from just plugging n my Pianoteqs and Omnisphere sounds…what effects that are actually useful in the signal chain?

Pianoteq
Omnisphere
Lounge Lizard
Kontakt
Blue3
Relab 480 Reverb
Soundtoys

My personal list

+100 for Soundtoys.

The Soundtoys bundle contains more than 5 FX VSTs, but it’s the only way to get the Effect Rack.

Soundtoys Products

Their Black Friday sale just started. It’s really hard to beat their effects.

What I did was to pick up any of their plugins that went on sale somewhere for a good or even stupid low price. Then, a couple of BFs ago, I did the bundle upgrade. I think I spent maybe $200, total.

Now, the bundle is on sale for $249, so was the couple of years spent collecting individual plugins to save $50 worth it?

YMMV.

But you can’t beat Soundtoys for FX.

Thanks all…will keep those in mind! Might stick with the cheap ones for now…have spent enough money this ‘Black Friday’.

Plugged in the X-Touch mini tonight…added a lot of great functionality…really the controls on the Xp80 + the x-touch and GG gives more than enough customisation options…very happy with the setup!

Worked out how to assign song parts to custom buttons…this works a treat for quickly flicking to different patches…basically I’ve got 8 x 3 buttons on the x-touch…and another 8 x 2 on the xp80 for quick recall + a whole bunch of sliders and dials to do all manner of things… Very handy and easy to customise!

By the look of it you can’t assign rack numbers to custom midi controls…ie. rack 3 to button 3…so using the song parts is the way to go.

Thanks!

I think you can re-program the x-touch mini buttons to send program change messages. So this will allow you to directly select rackspaces. I have one but as I’m on a Mac I can’t use their editor.
Using the rewind/forward arrows as rackspace down/up is also useful (in GP Global Midi Settings). And obviously linking the Play button to GP’s Play, and the fader to GP’s global volume is also nice.

Hi All, Had our first Gig last night with our cover band and Gig Performer.
Worked an absolute treat! Here’s a photo of my setup.

Hammond Organ via Omnisphere for House of the Rising Son was great!

We have DMX lights…so might research what options there are to use those (also totally new to me)

Also checking out the bundle deals at the moment with Komplete Ultimate…and the best way to buy it…
.had my eye on the Komplete S88 Mk2…but really not sure I need it now…because really the Xp80 with Gig Performer is doing everything I need anyway…

Anyway thanks again for all the advice here…am loving the new setup…and the band loves it too!

4 Likes

PianoPaul or anyone else that has some thoughts…

During the final days of Thanksgiving sale I’m having an internal debate about:

1.) Buying Komplete Ultimate and just keep using my Roland XP80…Cost $1000 AUD…when purchasing Select and then the Upgrade.

2.) Buying the S88 mkii and Komple Ultimate in a bundle. Cost $2100 AUD.
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/thanksgiving-xxl-2019/hardware-offers/pricing-s88-k12u-upg-ks/

3.) Stick with Omnisphere…and explore what I already have!

(If I was to upgrade later to the S88…it would cost me about an extra $300.)

Is it worth spending more on the S88 versus just using the Roland? I like the look of the screen on the S88…+ the better keybed it seems to have…+ lights, NKS integration…

on the other hand $1000 is a $1000…the XP 80 is a little more compact…and does actually have 4 sliders versus just knobs!

Would be really interested in what others would do? Is it worth going all out and spending an extra K?

I believe House of the Rising Sun (Eric Burdon & Animals version) was on a Vox Continental, which you need in your arsenal anyway if you’re going to do any Doors.

I really like the look and concept of the S88 mk2 but the impression I’ve had is that you can’t make much use of the screen and knobs unless you’re running Komplete. I don’t use Komplete or really any Native Instruments stuff except Kontakt.

I do love the idea of programmable knobs and screens, so I’m considering adding a Novation SL Mkii.

Thanks for this Vindes…I’m starting to wonder if I just stick with my xp80!

With Gig Performer I can program the sliders…and with X-Touch mini I have more than enough control options.

The only thing that appealed to me was the ease with which one can browse through presets on the S88, the 88 piano like keybed and the keyswitch lights…(which are probably not so relevant in GP anyway.)

As to the Komplete Library it seems to offer a lot of instruments and effects like Reverbs and Compressors that I don’t have and are useful for regular rock and roll…24 hours to decide!
(Might end up just saving all my money yet!)

If you are happy with the XP80 keep it. If you need another keyboard controller, choose it regarding what is important for you, not only because it is part of a bundle.

Regarding Komplete, you can also buy a used Komplete Ultimate and upgrade from this. I just bought a used version of Komplete Ultimate 10 for 250€ and updated to Komplete Ultimate Collectors 12 for 300€ which makes 550€.

What patch in Omnisphere are you using for Hammond Organ?

Which version, the Animals or Frijid Pink?

I’m using the stock…Hiwatt Hammand 2 patch…it is the Animals version I am playing…

on the original I believe they used a Vox Continental.
I’ve actually got this now with the Komplete Ultimate Collection…

for some reason I still prefer the sound of the Omnisphere Hammond in our cover band version…

I need to do some more experimentation really…and actually need to still work on playing it more accurately to the original…would like to get it like this guys version…

but need to spend more time on it.

Thanks for interest.