Is Gig Performer + vst's really a viable live solution compared to new synth?

Thanks… Good to know about that multi client asio option.

I’m using an old Presonus FireWire interface that still seems to work

GG learning still goes well. But…

I did get sound drop outs last night when using an Omnisphere Hammond Organ with a tremolo effect and aftertouch

When I took the tremolo out it was fine… So I’m not sure if this was my computer struggling … even though it was at low cpu… Or if it was some setting… Or ‘sound overload’ going on

Wouldn’t be confident just yet to use this all until I’m certain everything will stay working…

Otherwise though it all looks very promising…

What tremolo plugin are you using? There are orders of magnitude differences between different implementations of seeming identical plugin effects.

Also, what sample rate and buffer size are you using?

Thanks for helping…I’m not in front of the PC now…but I think it was the Vintage Tremolo from within the Omnisphere Effects rack

Really I don’t mind how I do it…I just wanted to be able to after touch the Hammond organ…and just have it kind of tremola or vibrato a little bit…I tried to do this by adjusting the ‘speed’ setting…

Does GG have it’s own built in effects that I would be better off using in the chain instead of doing it in the VST itself?
Should I download some other VST?

Sorry I am learning as fast as I can…but would love advice from you veterans on the recommended method!

As to Sample Rate and Buffer size…I googled and discovered references to this being a possible cause of the issue too…

where is this set? In Preferences? (Not in front of PC at the moment)

Is there a recommendation for this too…I’m not trying to be too fancy…I just want a good safe setting that will get the job done!

Thanks so much for any advice from anyone…I’ve learned a lot in the last few days through you all!

(edit: this is the old Presonus interface I’m using…it is firewire…and my slightly older laptop plays nicely with it…but hopefully this isn’t the cause of problems PreSonus Firebox Firewire Recording Interface | Reverb)

screenshot_3864

Omnisphere is known for being very CPU intensive but without knowing your environment, it’s hard to say what’s going on. For example, assuming you’re on Windows, even stuff like anti-virus apps can get in the way and you may have lots of other services running, you may even want to turn off networking and wifi.

GP does not come with its own plugins. As we’ve commented in the past, there are so many plugins out there, both free and commercial, that we didn’t see how we could do a better job and we also believe that most users will want to use their own plugins anyway, so our focus is on the environment that you need to have a stable on-stage experience.

Thanks… That all makes sense. I may try and find a nice light weight tremolo instead of the Omnisphere one.

Thank you… I’ll also make my system as lean as possible. Much appreciated.

Well just an update…

Have continued to enjoy figuring out all the features of Gig Performer…

I have found though I’m getting sound drop outs when I have too many instruments… In particular…

I have modo bass in a split on the left hand
Pianoteq 6 and Omnisphere Luscious Warm pad in the right

The bass in particular just can’t keep up and invariably goes missing when I play everything together on the first beat

My CPU is only at 35 percent or so… So not sure what the issue is?

I guess I could try resetting the laptop and getting rid of everything except the music software

Should a computer be able to cope with the 3 vsts at once?
Thanks.

Earlier, we asked you to report our sample rate and buffer size. Still waiting for that.

It’s not a question of quantity, it’s a question of quality. I routinely have 10-20 VSTs in some of my rackspaces.

However, if you have a VST that is absurdly processor intensive, you could see issues. Poor quality or misconfigured audio interface drivers, other applications (WiFi networking, antivirus apps, unnecessary services running), insufficient RAM, can all have an impact.

Hi there!

The short answer to your question is definitely a big yes!

Having said that I would add that if you include a comprehensively equipped master keyboard which something like the Korg Kronos is in spades as well as having its vast arsenal of internal sound it would help!

I actually use a Korg Kronos as my main playing keyboard in my live keyboard rig to not only play combined sounds from its internal engines, my computer VIs and hardware sound modules and an Alesis Andromeda, but also trigger samples, send patch change messages to vocal effects boxes all on a patch per patch basis at the flick of a single patch change (actually relayed from an old Roland A-50 for another reason which I won’t go into here!) My rig utilises all 16 midi channels sometimes doubling that up when using a “Song” as a combie patch in the Kronos where you can actually send out to external synths at the same time as triggering its own sounds.

However all of this would not be possible without GIGPERFORMER !..

It’s midi output/input widgets alone are extremely powerful enabling one to filter/swap incoming/outgoing channels around/filter ccc’s. There are widgets to enable swapping cc’s and all other manor of midi relaying tricks! I also use one of their sample playback widgets allowing me to trigger backing tracks or samples in many different ways including one-shotting with a single key stroke. If you have some task that needs relaying you can pretty much bet that GP will have the answer!

The program itself is a gem but the best thing is that its designers are relentless in continuing its development as it evolves with the growing needs of both live and even studio application!

Here is my own customed single GP “rackspace” window that may give you a clue into just how complex one can get as one needs to with this program!

1 Like

Sorry…after I posted and went to bed…I realised I should have sent all that through…sorry…

Here is full info on my specs…

Audio Interface - Presonus firebox.older unit
Computer is:

Current settings on the Asio Driver are:

At the moment I can’t get into the prefs of gig Performer because my trial just cancelled on me after I ran a Windows udate last night…still technically have around 10 days to run…so hoping the powers that be might refresh that for me to keep testing.

I’ll do some trials back in Reaper in the mean time…

One thing I might do is completely wipe Windows 10 and start with a fresh clean install…or maybe I need a new Audio Interface…or maybe a new computer!! (mind you that was a powerful machine back a few years ago)

I just looked at the prices of new Macbook Pros…ouch!!I really hope I can get this working…because otherwise I’d probably be better off with just buying a Korg Kronos or something…but would love to go the vst approach…

I’ll post the other settings if I can get the trial going again…Thanks

Edit: I’ve decided I’m going to reset the machine totally to a fresh Windows install…it used to be my main machine…so had a lot of stuff on there…I’ll make it as lean as I can…and dedicate it as a music pc

Will see how that goes! Will update you…hopefully the I can get my trial going again too…I am seriously considering buying it… … especially if I can get rid of those drop outs.

Thanks.

As I continue to research all of the software available in this world of the vst etc…I’ve come across quite a few videos that give the impression if you use anything but Ableton live you’d be crazy! (Especially in the modern church worship context)

Looking at this video…there does seem to be impressive integration between Abelton live and Main Stage…and also that the midi keyboard mentioned…integrates so seamlessly…+ even does things like communicate with lights.

Novation SL MKIII MIDI Controller.

Would Gig Performer do just as good as job at integrating with the Midi Keyboard and/or Abelton live mentioned the way Main Stage does?

I guess one would have to manually map every setting…?

Looking through the sales notes for Gig Performer it refers to ‘Abelton Link’…

What actually is this link? What does this let one do?

Would the best workflow be to use Gig Performer (or Mainstage) as the vst host…and then Abelton if I want to run tracks…and jump to various locations within songs?

If I understand correctly there is a place for Abelton Live and Gig Performer working together…they aren’t competing products…but rather one is focussed on daw like features…live playback of recordings…running light shows and click tracks…the other is your vst host…

(Meanwhile my Win 10 machine is reformatting! )

I don’t use Ableton myself but quite a few of our users do use Ableton and Gig Performer together so hopefully someone from that community will answer in more detail.

Ableton Link is a protocol defined by Ableton for synchronizing the tempo of multiple applications. Gig Performer supports it.

I should add that Gig Performer also support OSC so you can do such things as control Gig Performer from a tablet (see this blog article)

1 Like

Thank you.

Well on the latency front I know a lot more now…

I have a nicely refreshed Windows 10 machine that is running really well…it is free of any junk…stock Windows 10 and the Music gear…

I’ve discovered that the combo of Modo Bass, Omnisphere and Pianoteq + pressing the sustain pedal is what causes Modo Bass to drop out when all is played in unison…if I play without sustain …it is fine.

I tried adjusting up and down all sorts of buffer and latency settings…still figuring out what I’m doing there…but nothing here seemed to make any difference…other than increasing the latency effect!

Interestingly I had an old no frills bass guitar vst called 4Front Bass Module…and when I put this in the chain it worked without issues at all.

So I think it is simply a matter of something about the combination of a sustain pedal and Modo bass that just doesn’t play nicely.

I wonder if there is even a way of ‘programming’ Modo bass to ignore the sustain pedal?

Maybe there is a setting in Modo bass to fix this…but I might just look for an alternative that still sounds ok…something that works on my system is better than something that doesn’t!

Anyway it is great to have a nice clean system! Thanks all.

It is very easy to ignore sustain for Modo bass.
Use a separate Midi in Plugin for Modo Bass and in this Midi in Plugin just Block sustain

1 Like

I have the same Plugins, can you Upload the Gig, so i can Check what is going wrong?

Take a look at this

and this

I am using Ableton Live for Backing Tracks and Sync live Videos played by GrandVJ.
Gig Performer is controlling Ableton Live via OSC commands.
Works perfect

Thanks so much for all the feedback and ideas pianopaul. Initially might just use the inbuilt audio player in Gig Performer…or Reaper which I already have…but might need to upgrade my old Presonus Firebox to allow that to work… …

I’ll work on uploading that gig when I get a chance (About to start work here in Australia)

.I may well just try one of the free bass guitars out there too…while I’m sure Modo Bass is good…in the context of our band the free one may just do the job for a bit of bottom end…when I switch from playing actual bass to keys…(or our drummer may jump on the bass guitar) etc.
Thank you!

Where in oz are u

Hi Onkeyz,
From over in the Wimmera, Western Victoria - down the road from Melbourne! Are you from Australia? - Matt

Yeah mate on the goldy. Just seeing if u were close by