Instrument Range Chooser

My apologies in advance if this has been covered elsewhere, but I didn’t find it, so:

Is it possible to:

1. Easily limit the range of an instrument (e.g., limit a bass plug-in from C1 to G2)?

2. Control same in real time / on the fly?

3. Implement a crossfader so that, for example, a piano and a bass “blend” where they “meet” (like Nord Electro 6D)?

My present keyboard (Numa Compact 2X) probably doesn’t have enough controls available for the latter two, but a “yes” answer might assist with motivation to replace it with one that does.

The basic goal here regarding #1 is simply to achieve a piano / bass split (like Pianoteq has built-in, but with “instruments of choice,” e.g., Scarbee Fender Rhodes + Ample Bass Jaco Fretless).

My Kawai MP11 has a similar feature built in its physical controls.

The Ample bass instruments that I have (the aforesaid Jaco one and their Acoustic one) don’t have internal range limiters / choosers.

Without such a range limitation, the bass goes too high into the piano range (e.g., into Middle C and up) to make it useful for a piano (of some sort) / bass split.

Achieving #3 would be 'icing on the cake."

I’m using a new Macbook Pro 13" with the M1 chip, 16 gig RAM, 2 tera storage.

Since I’m not a computer programmer (I’m fairly competent at the end-user level for a Jazz saxophonist / lawyer; my nephew is the computer guru), I’d prefer an “easy” way to do this. If that’s impossible, lay the harder approach on me, and I’ll ask said nephew for interpretation if necessary.

Thank you!

That all is doable, gimme some minutes - I upload a small gig showing how to do that.

1 Like

OK, cool! Thank you…

What plugin do you have?
I want to make sure you can use the example gig.

In the MIDI In Plugin you can define the lower and upper key

So for Piano it is B2…C8 and for the Bass C-2…B2
This ranges you can easily assign to a Widget and then you can control the ranges on the fly.

1 Like

Crossafade

Include a Gain Plugin after each instrument.
Then assign widgets to control each gain
Assign a Widget Group to each widget and just reverse the value of 1 of the 2 widgets
This way when you move a widget in a group the other widgets in the same goup are moved also and as the value of 1 is reversed => you have a crossfade.

Crossfade.gig (194.0 KB)

2 Likes

By the way @Jeff, welcome to the family.

Currently, I have:

1. Pianoteq (Steinway, Bechstein, Electric (Rhodes & Wurli);
  2. Scarbee Rhodes (uses Kontakt Player);
  3. IK Multimedia Hammond Organ
  4. Ample Bass (acoustic & Jaco fretless electric)

I didn’t put it in my initial question, but of course this feature would be very useful for the organ, so as to replicate the functionality of a real, two manual organ with pedals. I own a 1969 Hammond E112 (the same one that Keith Emerson threw knives at, etc.).

I will be getting Ivory II acoustic pianos in the near future.

Thank you, Pianopaul!

1 Like

Just replace the plugins in the Gig File I uploaded.

OK, so when I double click the “MIDI In,” up pops that stylish interface with the snazzy “keyboard split” on the left side… with the “picket fence” (to show that it is selected).

In your example, you have a piano … and a bass … and the bass has the “picket fence” around it…

But when I try that, the piano interface (Scarbee, on Kontakt in this case) pops up - and no more “MIDI In” interface. Either single or double click on the Scarbee = same result.

Yours seems to be “combined…”

How to achieve this?

Thank you!

Sorry, I did not get it.
First replace the VST Plugins with the plugins you use.
Is that working?

Oh … you mean somehow load your “gig” instead of the “gig” I have?

I actually have a whole bunch of plug-ins (various iterations of them, at least). It took me a while to do it. Is there a “script” or something you used?

Remember, I’m brand new at this…

I should note that I’m using my Windows machine for this writing … but my Macbook Pro for GP.

I guess a “gig” can be “imported” on GP?

Yes you load load the gig-file I uploaded

I have a Learn Split Scriptlet in this huge gig file. It makes it possible to MIDI learn the split without having to leave the panel view.

2 Likes

OK … I will try that, then replace with my instruments.

Regarding the crossfader depending on the note played with regard to the split point (or overlapping range), I remember that @dhj already made a GPScript for that, even with a recorded demo if I remember well, but I don’t find it anymore…

I will try this too - This is essentially my goal as well, since I purchased my new Macbook Pro instead of a Nord Electro 6D.

I only have the Numa Compact 2X for the moment. It is portable and light. I will be using this set-up in NYC and taking public transpo, so a heavy keyboard is not an option for me. But the Numa lacks a lot of controls. Only the 9 drawbars and three rotary knobs seem to have MIDI implementation (lots of other buttons and knobs don’t appear to have it).

Maybe he will post it - Pianopaul’s does this…

Many GP users use the small Korg Nano Kontrol stuffs…