Instance File Organization

Hello,

Can someone please help me understand GigPerformer’s instance file organization system? I can’t seem to find any info in the manual.

My instance dropdown menu features all sorts of clutter from the past. None of these instance names can be found in finder. Where do they exist? I’d love to be able to delete and reorganize them.

Also, I’m a little confused as to how instances are saved. When an instance is opened, in the title bar, you see File Name(Instance). When I save, it saves to the File Name instead of to the instance. What is the thinking/advantage of this?

As always, thanks for everyone’s support!

Sam

An instance of Gig Performer is just an vehicle to start Gig Performer multiple times.
The Gig Files itself are not bound to an instance.
Each Instance has its own configuration settings.

1 Like

Thanks pianopaul.

I think I should have been more clear.

Is there a way to clean up this messy menu?

Also, why do instances have “names” if they are just a vehicle? Wouldn’t it be simpler to be able to open another .gig as an instance instead of naming a new instance and assigning it a file?

Thanks!

Just delete not needed instances with the menu entry
“Delete existing instance”

Well this is embarrassingly simple. Thanks for your patience!

You cannot open a gig file as an instance.
You need to start an additional Gig Performer and then load the gig file.
And this is starting a created instance by creating instances.

This is documented in the user manual

1 Like

Please check out this: [blog] How to use multiple instances in Gig Performer 4

2 Likes

Well, i can , …and do :wink:
edit: sorry, i know what you meant ( i mean: directly opening a fresh instance )

i´m on mac, can´t tell about windows.
I use a script. ( to make it clear, a “mac relevant” script / its inside my mac)
with this script can i open individual GP instances directly from my title Bar on my mac.
The script has been posted here at GP Forum from @rank13.
Unfortunately, have no link i could provide.
@npudar might have one ?

on mac was the big thing, and still is:
you can open GP with this script, “arm-based” or “intel-based”.

it also helps to chose specific audio settings at startup of GP,
since these settings are saved “per instance”.

i think a similar script was also posted for windows, no ?

makes my live so much easier !! …a small thing, but helps nicely !
Thank you Sir ! @rank13

Yes, everything is indexed here: Instance File Organization - #7 by npudar

(P.S. I saw your other thread, but I don’t have that Halion plugin. I hope that someone has)

1 Like

Thanks for your help everyone.

@npudar link answered my initial question. I found what I was looking for in his blog post. The folder I was looking for is (macOs) ~/Library/Application Support/GigPerformer/Gig Performer.INSTANCENAME

This is very helpful because I can have different “rigs” that open different gig files with the same Instance Name simply by swapping the files in the aforementioned folder. Plus, it was interesting to open these files up and see what info is contained in an “Instance”.

Thanks again!
Sam

1 Like