How to use midi out

Maybe you are already at the highest midi note (note number 127) so you can’t transpose up any higher.

1 Like

Of course it is that you cannot transpose to +12 notes that are already at the highest limit. That’s it! Any note above 115 transposed at +12 will be ignored. It is not GP which is the limiting factor, you are above the MIDI norm. The question is why to you need to do that, did you also transpose your plugin in the other way? :face_with_monocle:

If you want to trigger your banjo vst in the green zone, you will first have to determine where it is exactly on a MIDI keyboard controller. You could do this from the virtual keyboard within the UNTRANSPOSED MIDI in block connected to your banjo vst (to play a key on the virtual keyboard you need to clic and move the mouse). As it seems that the plugin window of the banjo vst displays the MIDI notes sent to it, on its own virtual keyboard representation, try to find the lowest and the highest MIDI note number of the green part of the banjo vst. If we know this we will be able to help you. :wink:

Sorry, cant get my keyboard to connect at the moment to show any details. I can only do the guitar controller info,
The ss shows the guitar as I play a G chord which is programmed to use just button #1 on the PS3 controller neck. The notes land in the blue zone and are the notes G, B and D (shown depressed). But the global midi shows entirely different information with no correlation at all that I can follow. Not sure what comment to make here, except perhaps I should give up trying to make this work in Kontact.

The global monitor is showing your “Game Controller” — is that your PS3? If so, it is generating absurdly high MIDI note messages, i.e, they’re up at about 5 octaves from middle C3 (which would be MIDI note number 60)
Even an 88 note keyboard controller generally produces note numbers between 21 and 108

Your Kontakt instrument PROBABLY expects MIDI note numbers in the range C1 to C5 or C6 (I can’t really tell from that picture, you need to click on the wrench (spanner) and look at the mapping window.

So if your guitar controller is really generating those high values, then the MidiIn Block that is receiving MIDI events from that game controller will need to transpose DOWN several octaves so that the MIDI note numbers are in the range that that Kontakt instrument is expecting.

Please open the MIDI in block plugin window and play with the mouse on the keyboard displayed on the window. From this keyboard, clic a note and move the mouse a bit. Please follow my instruction:

@dhj is right, that’s where I would like to lead you, but you need to identify the lower and higher MIDI note of the green part of the realibanjo onscreen keyboard by playing on the GP MIDI in window onscreen keyboard.

Ok, I’ve done what is asked. I clicked and moved untransposed notes on the virtual keyboard. Lowest note is C5 and the highest note is D7. But I should point out that only notes that show up as responding on the green notes are C5 and the next white note D5. No matter where I click and move between C5 and D7, these are are the only two notes that show any response.

So your green keys are ranging from C5 to D7, that’s in this range that you have to play. This means that you have to transpose your MIIDI in block until the notes displayed in your connection view local MIDI monitor are in this range, i.e. you have at least to transpose from -12 semitones (transpose with negative value) or perhaps even from -24 semitones.

Transpose with the midi in block has no effect. I tried the highest transpose to the lowest transpose and all the steps in between. Nothing changes and the midi notes will simply not transpose into the required green zone.
Best now to wait for Realitone to release V2 of RealiBanjo which will feature the ability to move the trigger zone. Thanks to all who have tried to help me with this, and sorry if I’ve wasted everyone’s time.
Cheers😃.

I assume you checked that your Kontact instrument is receiving MIDI events on the same MIDI channel from which you’re sending them. You conveniently shrunk the width of the MIDI Monitor so we can’t see the entire MIDI message.

There’s no magic here — something very basic has to be misconfigured.

Kontact is receiving midi as I see the blue zone reacting. The issue must be in the way the PS 3 controller re-interprets the five neck buttons as determined by MusicLab when they instituted the “joystick mode”. In this mode (which allows the PS 3 controller to be used to drive the MusicLab guitars), the button combinations are programmed to produce chords. In basic mode, button #1 = G chord, button #3 = C chord, and button #5 = F chord. By using the five buttons in combination, up to 31 chords can be programmed. And these combinations can be reprogrammed on a song by song basis. By using midi out on the ReaLGuitars plug-ins, I’ve managed to play a huge number of vsts including strings, pianos, organs etc. but they all need a RealGuitar set to midi out. It’s only Kontact it seems that can’t interpret that upper green keyboard zone as sent out from the PS3 controller.

It has one, it transposes the MIDI notes that go out of it, if they are in the regular MIDI range!

If I follow you, the connection view you are trying to make work is something like this:

Could you please post the same kind of screenshot with:

• your complete configuration visible in the conection view
  • the general MIDI monitor windows with fully visible messages
  • one local MIDI monitor at each step along the MIDI connection from your guitar controller to the RealiBanjo plugin (also with fully visible messages)
  • the MIDI in block plugin window (without transposition)
  • if you can also put the RealiBanjo onscreen keyboard under this, just to check which part of the keyboard is triggered
    => Before taking the screenshot play only one chord on your PS3 guitar controller

Please, take the time to prepare carefully this screenshot with the different information we need to understand your whole MIDI scheme from the controller to the plugin. I don’t see any reason why it coudn’t be possible to make you banjo plugin work. It should.

Hopefully?

Perfect, please send me your gig file, I will add a script for you ASAP to do the right transpose after RealStrats… and it should work…

Really! That’s amazing and fantasticRealiBanjo Test.gig|attachment (86.3 KB)

Sorry, was I supposed to attach the gig file here, or send it to some other email?

Just attach to a post here :wink: @David-san will take care.

OK - now I understand — of course transposing the MidiIn Block will not do anything — that’s just changing what gets sent into RealStrat.

The issue getting the notes sent out from RealStrat to be correct for the banjo instrument.

So the notes that are being sent out from RealStrat seem to be D2, G2, D3, G3, B3, B4 and I guess that green note area of the Kontakt instrument are highter than that.

However, I don’t understand why a script is necessary to fix this. Couldn’t he just use the free midiTranspose plugin from Insert Piz Here

Oh Wow (shouting very loudly making throat hoarse)! It works!
Midi Transpose
I had to make some adjustments as per the screen shot, but it works.
Several people have stuck by me through this and I really appreciate all the effort made.
But my very first post asks:

“2 Is there another way to raise the midi note data at the output stage (I’m using Kontact 5)”

Turned out to be really simple in the end.

Of course, if you use a plugin to do what I wanted to put in my GPScript, you don’t need scripting. I like GPScript! I like using it! :nerd_face:

The whole thing was to get all the information that @bigalminal didn’t want to tell us :face_with_monocle:

He is trying to make this banjo plugin work for him since 2018 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

:musical_score: :notes: Hey Mister Banjo :musical_note: :partying_face: :clinking_glasses: :champagne: :tada:

Indeed. I was completely confused by all the descriptions, particularly around MidiIn Transpose not working)

It was only when I saw that last screenshot that I realized what was happening. I really appreciated your efforts to try and get to the bottom of the issue,

Right - it is much better to point users at simple solutions when feasible.