Helix Native 3.50 Crashes

I don’t use Helix, but I’ll add my anecdote about Line 6 support. They were excellent with a hardware failure that I experienced two days before my warranty expired.

It was covid era, and of course all things musical were backordered for the next three decades, so I was going to have to wait for a replacement unit. But they got it to me faster than I expected, and while it was still backordered all over the internet.

I appreciate your input.

My ticket has been open for a month, I have been very specific about what my issue is with the latest version of Helix Native and where the crash is occurring and where it isn’t, and provided a crash dump. I program computers for a living, hunting down bugs is what I do. The troubleshooting steps line 6 support have recommended so far have been illogical, and I have not been given any reassurance that my issue is being looked into or that Line 6 cares about whether their plug-in works in the vst host I use. I use both gig performer and helix native for a living, and I need it to work properly. I don’t feel that Line 6 is supporting me. I do not want to use Helix hardware to get Helix 3.5 sound quality I want to keep using my computer and gig performer. I think that’s a reasonable expectation from a plug-in vendor. And a month is a long time to wait for any kind of meaningful response.

2 Likes

Do you not consider the working VST2 as a satisfactory option? Many users here actively choose VST2 over VST3 for its often improved stability.

1 Like

I agree, of course. My experience just required somebody to mail me a piece of hardware.

Have you tried version 3.51? I downloaded from this link and the trial version VST3 seems to be working for me. Patch notes say “Helix Native—While sending MIDI to Helix Native while its window is closed, the DAW can crash—FIXED

1 Like

HI Charles,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The senior tech here said there is not really much we can do on this, and that the workaround would be to use it as a VST2.

I am sorry that I do not have a better answer on this.

Thanks,

Ben

You can reply directly to this email and your response will be added to your ticket, as will an attachments you include. To view your ticket, click here: Line 6

If you do not reply to the ticket within 5 days, it will automatically be “closed”. If it closes, you can open the ticket again by replying to it within 90 days.

• Line 6 Customer Service

Cool, I will give this a try tonight.

Helix Native 3.51 Release Notes

Helix Native 3.51 (released November 29, 2022) includes bug fixes and additional improvements, and is strongly recommended for all users. This update applies only to Helix Native and HX Edit software; there is currently no 3.51 firmware planned for Helix and HX hardware.

Bug Fixes in 3.51

• Modulation > FlexoVibe and 4-Voice Chorus’ Rate parameters do not display a tempo sync toggle—FIXED
  • When adjusting the new Cab > Dual block’s Delay parameter with a mouse wheel, HX Edit can crash—FIXED
  • When using an Apple Magic Mouse 2, the scroll wheel resolution (and to a lesser extent, a 2-finger scroll on the Mac’s touchpad) is much more coarse in 3.50 than in 3.15—FIXED
  • Helix Native—While sending MIDI to Helix Native while its window is closed, the DAW can crash—FIXED
  • Other minor fixes and improvements

Compatible OS: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Windows 11

So does this 3.51 version fix the crashes?

HI Charles,

I see the developer of Gig Performer contacted us. I forwarded it to the senior tech. We are working on having someone possibly contacting him on this issue.

You can reply directly to this email and your response will be added to your ticket, as will an attachments you include. To view your ticket, click here: Line 6

If you do not reply to the ticket within 5 days, it will automatically be “closed”. If it closes, you can open the ticket again by replying to it within 90 days.

• Line 6 Customer Service

DHJ,

I tested it for a while tonight and could not get Helix Native 3.51 to crash. I will continue to test and
report.

Charles

1 Like

Yes, I was asked for contact info but haven’t heard from anyone. It’s going to be really important to know whether 3.51 addresses the problem.

1 Like

Based on my testing thus far I’d say the issue is resolved with Helix Native VST3 3.51.

Helix Native used to crash instantly upon midi in, and it is no longer doing that. I would need a week of more extensive testing and live use to confirm that it is not randomly crashing anymore.

1 Like

djh,

I did experience a random crash with GP at a church gig yesterday right before we were supposed to start. My setup is about 20 instances of Helix Native 3.52 with only one instance at a time being active.

I had to reload my gig file and missed part of the first song ugh. I do not know what caused the crash I was not using my rig at the time it was just sitting idle. I have not been able to recreate the issue at home. Is there an automatic crash dump somewhere on my machine that I could look at? I did not save the crash dump at the time as I was in a hurry to get back up and running.

Other than this one random crash, this setup has been running very stable thus far.

I don’t know if you are on Mac or Win, but there should be a subdirectory somewhere named: GPErrorHandler\UnsentCrashReports

David I am on windows 10 Pro. I will look for this directory, thanks!

Did you use predictive load?

Shouldn’t matter - he said, " I was not using my rig at the time it was just sitting idle"

1 Like

No I did not, I do not even know what that is :slight_smile:

I was just talking to someone and when I came back to start playing the first hymn GP had
crashed.

Have you been in rackspace view or setlist mode?

Rackspace view. I just use one rackspace with 20 or so variations. Each variation enables and unmutes one instance of HN and disables and mutes all the others. The muting is necessary because Helix Native
sends the unprocessed audio signal thru even when it is disabled.