Hacks compilation

Where do you need help @Hermon?

Are you familiar with Python or VSC?

Thanks to you.
I don’t know anything about scripting, I’m just able to adapt a parameter or two in a GP script, for example change a midi controller number, but that’s it.
If you tell me: “insert the script here and look at the result there” I’ll understand, but that’s all. :rofl:

OK, I understand. Are you on Windows or Mac? I think I can prepare something more user friendly over the weekend :thinking:

1 Like

I am on Windows but do not worry, it is not a priority as I have lot of of work to do in the next weeks.

Hi @Hermon, finally I have something to offer: I just created two executables for macOS and Windows with the pyinstaller module and uploaded the binaries to my GitHub as well.

You can download the ‘GPpyTools’ for macOS or ‘GPpyTools.exe’ for Windows from the binary folder at GPpyTools (GitHub)

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Just put the app and your gig-file.gig in the same folder (e.g. Downloads…), open a terminal (on Windows: CMD.EXE), go to this folder (cd Downloads) and enter GPpyTools gig-file.gig you will (hopefully) get an gig-file.gig.xlsx in the same folder.

I just did a basic test on the Windows machine of my wife with the same gig-file as on my Mac, as I only have a GigPerformer Mac license. Should work :sunglasses:

HTH - BBB

2 Likes

@tripleB I tried but the following message appears: “gig-file.gig does not exist?!”

I think gig-file.gig have to replaced by the existing gig-file

@pianopaul @tripleB I just realized that: I tried stupidly by making a copy/paste without thinking … I forgot for a moment the saying : “think first, click later”
It works perfectly!
It’s magic - at least for me :wink:
Thank you very much Alexander, this will help me a lot as soon as I get the time to do it :beers:

2 Likes

After a second try to check, I specify that the name of the .gig file must not contain spaces otherwise it does not work. So you have to replace the space by a character of your choice.

@Hermon this is one way to do it, the other would be to use quotes :wink:

GPpyTools.exe "My Gig 123.gig"

Pure Windows magic :slight_smile:

Actually this is true on *nix as well (which includes both Linux and Mac, the latter’s OS is built on BSD Unix)

Thank you, it works fine on my WIndows PC but how does it work on Mac?

You can download the ‘GPpyTools’ for macOS or ‘GPpyTools.exe’ for Windows from the binary folder at GPpyTools (GitHub)

3 Likes

Yes, I have done so. And then? GPpyTools is no “exe” like in Windows. When I open it, there is only a document text.

I think you need python
https://docs.python.org/3/using/mac.html#how-to-run-a-python-script

@SirTommes so you downloaded the ‘GPpyTools’ from the binary folder? It’s currently in your download folder?

Open a Terminal, enter cd ~/Downloads if you now type ./GPpyToolsyou should at least see an instruction how to proceed…

Just put a copy of your gig-file also to the downloads folder and enter ./GPpyTools "your gigfile name.gig" and you should get a .xlsx file after some seconds…

Ahh, got the problem: after downloading from GitHub macOS blocks the GPpyTools application :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

I need to figure out a solution… Any ideas from “real programmer” welcome

OK, here it is: after downloading move GPpyTools outside the Downloads folder (e.g. ~/temp).

Shift-right-click on GPpyTools and let macOS open GPpyTools (you have to allow macOS to open it!) - a new Terminal will open. Wait until GPpyTools finishes the first time.

You can now close this terminal, and proceed in your terminal.

Here’s what I just did after moving some content to my temp folder

Thank you, but no chance: zsh: permission denied: ./GPpyTools

I transfered my GigFile to windows and now I get an xlsx File.

Did you run chmod a+x to give the script permission to execute?

Thank you, that works, problem solved.