Gig Setlist - Keyboard Splits

I typically haven’t used the setlist function in Gigperformer, and have set up an individual rackspace for every song/part. I play to a click track, which also sends a PC change to Gigperformer to select the correct rackspace for each part in the song. Works great, but does mean my gig file is getting bigger and bigger the more songs I add…

I’d like to switch to using the setlist, defining songs with song parts, meaning I can re-use some rackspaces where songs have the same sounds. The PC message from the click track would then just select the correct song / part in the setlist.

Where things get more tricky is where there is a keyboard split. e.g. Lower Half keyboard is playing chords, upper half is playing a lead sound, and I want to just change the lead sound (e.g. in the chorus). What’s the best way to handle this? Not very experienced, so to me it looks like I would have to create 2 rackspaces for the song, with the chord sounds duplicated on each rackspace…

That’s ok, but it means each rackspace then becomes very specific, and I’ll end up back where I started - with a rackspace for every song part!

Not sure there’s an answer, but would appreciate any thoughts on this - I’m hoping there’s a concept or hack I’ve missed?

How drastic is the change in lead sound: a different plugin, or just parameter changes on the same plugin (that could be managed using widgets)?

You could assign widgets to min/max notes in your midi blocks that do the splits.
Now you simply have either separate variations with widgets set to the desired split or you use the song part overrides and have each song part have a different split without having to create additional rackspaces or variations.

Obviously your splits should be done using the built in MIDI in blocks.

In my rackspaces I create all MIDI In Blocks and Splits which are necessary to the song.
And in the variations I have Widgets which filter Note On for MIDI In Blocks I am not using in this variation.
So no need for changing split points or Midi channels.

Maybe that helps
Emulating Patch Persist between Variations

The lead sound will often be a different sound completely (perhaps even a different plugin), so a variation probably isn’t the answer

Depends……if it’s just one other plugin that’s well behaved (meaning it doesn’t suck up cpu cycles when it’s not bypassed), it may be quite reasonable to have it in the same rackspace and just have it bypassed when. It needed.

If the sound is so different thst you need a completely different set of plugins, then another rackspace makes sense.

You have choices😀

Using a variation to bypass does make sense I think and provides a way to make the rackspace a bit more flexible - that approach opens the way to having just one rackspace for each song, avoiding duplication of the chord sound plugin which otherwise would need to be in both rackspaces.

Still seams like I would end up with one rackspace per song unless I started making a ‘Mega’ rackspace with lots of variations. That seems against the basic idea of gigperformer, so perhaps one rackspace per song is the way to go. At least that abides by KISS, which I like!

Thinking about it, probably the only way to truly abstract the split sounds to allow re-use on different songs would be to allow a song part to have more than one rackspace - don’t think we really need to go there! :grinning:

But there’s nothing wrong with that!

That’s one way — another way is to use songs with song parts where each part may be the same rackspace with various overridden snapshots or each part might be a different rackspace, or some combination.

It really depends on what you need to achieve and the complexity of the song, etc

1 Like

Not sure why not. I’m missing something…

You have 5 different plugins with 5 different sounds split between 5 different midi in blocks each specifying a range on the keyboard.

Why does that not work for you if you just move the splits/ranges in the midi in block? Bypass the midi in blocks you don’t want in a certain variation etc…

You set up the widgets and create any combination you want. Again - I must be missing something here.

You’re quite right, I wasn’t thinking of using a bypass as I’ve previously relied on rackspaces to switch sounds, to take advantage of patch persist etc, but adding a variation with a bypass could achieve the same.