Gig Performer and Music Lab products

I have every Real Guitar that Music Labs make. And I often use several at once through a mixer block with various panning options. I drive them all using a PS 3 guitar controller and they always play perfectly with no problems at all.

Hummm… very very strange :thinking:

I hear them both layered.
How does the CPU usage look when both of these are enabled?
(I’m on a powerful i9 processor with 32gb RAM)

Just to provide something different as it seems that this plugin works great for many users. Leads me to believe something is different on your system specifically.

• Is your RME interface plugin into your computer using a USB hub? If so - could you please humour us and try to plug it in directly into your computer, then try again.
  • Are your system sounds played through that interface? If so - please change that in system settings.
  • What happens if you change your SampleRate in GP audio settings. Try 44.1kHx and 48kHz - see if that makes any difference.

I’m on an i9-7700X@3.30GHz with 64 GB RAM.

CPU starts at 6-7% and goes to 15-17% with both enabled.

RME is plugged into computer, not hub. Tried configuration both ways, however, just to troubleshoot. No difference

System sounds are disabled.

Changing sample rate in GP audio settings has no impact.

Not curious to try to record what activates the GP metering ?

Not sure what you are asking? I’m curious to do anything that will resolve this issue! :slight_smile:

Have you heard from the MusicLab people? I have to say this is probably the most bizarre issue we’ve ever seen.

Indeed very strange. I’ve tried multiple loadings. Confirmed that each time I load your gig file, I have to delete and add a MIDI IN block. Then both are heard layered just fine. I saved my modified version. Closed GP, and then double clicked the modified file. Perfectly loads GP, Omnisphere, and RealStrat Standard.

Yes, but only in that they requested my specific Windows 10 build and the versions I was using of their products. I supplied these, waiting to hear back.

Yes, I meant, as you cannot hear what is produced by Realstrat because it doesn’t go to the audio hardware, perhaps you could try to record it before (I guess - but it’s pure supposition - that the RME ASIO driver doesn’t like what comes out of Realstrat for any reason and blocks it).
You could use the demo version of LoopBeAudio and try to loopback the Realstrat output to a GP input that you could record and perhaps hear what’s coming out. It is pure curiosity and it could perhaps give a clue to MusicLab/Deskew/RME to help you to find where this issue could come from, because I don’t think you can solve this alone.
How bizarre… how bizarre :crazy_face:

Glad it’s working for you, EnjoyRC. In my case, spent 45 minutes on a 2nd remote session with Gig Performer tech support and we tried a number of troubleshooting approaches, unfortunately to no avail (yet). But I’m sure we’ll find the issue sooner or later…

And I have to say that GP’s tech support response has been over the top awesome – I’ve been around a lot of tech products through the years and their involvement is unrivaled in my experience. And having other community members like yourself contributing with suggestions is also greatly appreciated and admired.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Here is a .wav file of:
– playing a single repeated note
– using a single MIDI (OMNI) input block
– configured to send to a single instance of RealStrat Standard (VST2)
– output stereo to Analog 1/2 in on my RME Fireface UFX
– looped back in TotalMix to send to be recorded in Wavelab via Analog 3/4 in

This is the “bad electronic sound” I’ve been trying to describe in various posts. Hope this helps define it better.

GigPerformer_BadOutput.zip (170.5 KB)

Regarding Music Lab Guitars not sounding. Ocasionally I have guitar that won’t sound even though the level meters are registering output. If I change the midi in block for a new one, that often clears the blockage. Seems to be a GP issue that happens now and then.

Oh, you could use the loopback in TotalMix even if no audio is coming out from your RME audio interface ? Do you have some metering activity in TotalMix or did you try to record something blindly ?

Anyway, thanks for the recorded audio file. Even, if the sound you recorded is weird, does it have the right tune?

I just had a look at the signal of one note in your recording and it looks to be chopped that way : 1/4 signal - 3/4 silence - 1/4 signal - 3/4 silence…

Zooming at the samples level it gives : 64 samples of signal - 192 samples of silence which makes a time period of exactly… 256 samples :thinking:

I don’t come to any explanation for the moment, but for fun, I tried to rework the first note of your audio file to stretch the 64 samples of signal to fill the silence, which gives:

And here is the modification applyied to your audio file, in which only the first note has been modified. It cannot be considered to be fixed, but I have got the feeling that it sounds closer from what it should. What do you think about it?

Realstrat_first_note_reworked.zip (518.8 KB)

OK, your issue is still not solved, this is only an additionnal clue… perhaps…

2 Likes

Maybe this is a stupid suggestion but have you tried completely uninstalling RealGuitar, rebooting, then reinstalling Real Guitar and rebooting again?

Another “Troubleshooting” thing to try. Have you loaded the RealStrat VST3 version into GP? I think I saw VST2 mentioned in this thread. Not that it should matter… trying anything at this point. :slight_smile:

Another troubleshooting task: Tonight, I’m going to create a gig that contains Omnisphere and RealStrat from scratch and post it here. Then if you could load it and see the results…

2 Likes

Here is a GIG file that has Omnisphere (patch from basic Omnisphere) and RealStrat (default loaded configuration)
MIDI IN is routed to both VST2 plug-ins. Left & Right audio is routed to Channels 1 & 2 out.OmniRealStrat.gig (500.8 KB)

Wow - thanks for all your work on this!

The “bad electronic sound” only plays through my audio interface when the output is routed to Analog Ch 1/2 of the interface as described in one of my earlier posts. When routed to Analog Ch 11/12 (which is where it was originally) there is no metering or audible sound on the interface.

So to record the “bad sound” playback, I routed to Analog 1/2 and then to record using the loopback feature in the Fireface TotalMix software.

The editing that you did revealed that the first 64 samples do indeed have the (generally) correct tone, so that does at least give some clue as to how the “bad sound” is being produced.

Thanks!