Gig Performer 4 won't load

Hi,
I’m using Windows 10

I tried loading Gig Performer 4 & it said that no audio interface was detected (My M-Audio was plugged in to my computer), I clicked quit and unplugged the M-Audio, the Gig Audio window just showed ‘initializing’. I tried to close the window but it didn’t work. Looking at the Windows Task Manager, against Gig Performer it had the message ‘Suspended’.

I shut my laptop and restarted it. Gig Performer won’t now open at all.

I look forward to your help

Did you install ASIO-Driver for your M-Audio?

Yes, it works fine with Live & Max, & I have used it with GP4 for three months

That’s a critical piece of information. From your first comments, it sounded like GP4 had never worked.

If it used to work and then stopped then clearly something changed in your environment that is now causing GP to fail.

I went directly to the file & double clicked, it opened ok but only in Gig Performer 3!

Any suggestions what to do next?

I have a support ticket with Plugin Alliance but haven’t had a reply yet

What file?
The GP 4 excutable or a gig file?

If double-clicking a file opens GP3 rather than GP4 then that means your file extensions (the .gig extension) is associated with GP3, not GP4.

So I still don’t understand exactly what is the problem, particularly since, as noted above, it all used to work. All I can do is repeat my comment, if it used to work and now it doesn’t, then something else changed on your system.

1. The only thing I have done is download a couple of updates for my plugins. But when I open the gig file in GP3 I can open the plugins fine.

2. Looking at the properties of the gig file it says open with GP3, if I click on change… & find (eventually) GP4 and try to launch the gig file nothing happens.

Should I just try re-installing GP4 or what?

The last Windows update was 15 March, and I had used GP a number of times after this.

I am not a Windows expert at all so any advice would be great

You can take a look here:

In Windows, I like to use 3rd party tools, as those tools are usually lots better than the provided solution from Microsoft…

Take a look at this tool: FileTypesMan - Alternative to 'File Types' manager of Windows

It allows you to tweak file types, applications that open them, and the desired actions. This is for the GIG file extension and Gig Performer 4:

You might want to try reinstalling…

Thanks for the replies, I’ll let you know how I get on

1 Like

Hi,

I uninstalled & reinstalled GP4, but it still won’t open.

I can however play the files in GP3, which is something. Hopefully Plugin Alliance will be able to help me further

Cheers

I do not really understand the issue:

Can you start GP4 and then open a gig file from within GP4?

Do you have an Anti-Virus program that is blocking GP4?

No, I can’t open GP 4 but if I go to a gig file & double click it I can open that file in in GP3

So you are note able to start GP4 like you would start for example the Internet Explorer?
Can you upload a screenshot showing the GP4 executable?

What I’m saying is I can open GP3 but I can’t open GP4

Yes, we know you’re saying that. We are trying to figure out WHY!!!

There is no magic. If it used to work and then stopped then my guesses are:

1. The GP4 executable or one of its components got corrupted
  2. Some other program got installed that (erroneously) replaced some system DLLs upon which GP4 depends
  3. You have some kind of anti-virus program that is blocking GP4 from running