First note out of Kontakt is delayed

On the three Kontakt instances I’ve checked, the first note played on the first activation of each rackspace is delayed ~200 ms (total SWAG… definitely noticeable, but less than a half second). I’ve tested this on three rackspaces. Two use Hammonds from the Kontakt Organs library and one is a three instrument multi with Marimba, Vibes, and Flute. Subsequent activations within the same session do not produce the delay.

Using Predictive loading, if the rackspaces are unloaded and reloaded, the delay occurs.

Windows 10 Pro
Xeon L3360
8GB RAM
Samsung 840 SSD

Yes - this is a known Kontakt issue and many users reported it to NI. It happens with any plugin host.

This happens with Kontakt Istruments that use the convolution effect as an insert effect.
NI knows about that and they accepted it as a bug.

Tomorrow I get the new Kontakt 6 and will check if the bug still exists.

For this issue I created a workaround:

In the On Activate event of the rackspace I am sending a very short note with very low velocity.
So when I start playing, the issue does not exist.
In my case this is working because I do not switch rackspaces within a song :wink:

Thanks for the info. I’ll do the workaround as I am not on the annual upgrade cycle with NI and will wait until there’s enough new to justify the upgrade. I just made it to K5, having put off the Komplete upgrade for a few years.

I don’t change rackspaces in a song (except for one that I am still working on), but it is still an issue because, if I change rackspaces and don’t preview a note, then my entrance into the song will be mangled.

Curious. I never noticed it before, but just confirmed that the behavior is the same in Forte.

Does the issue occur every time you switch to that particular Rackspace or only the first time you switch to it (then the issue disappears with all subsequent switches to that Rackspace)?

It has nothing to do with switching. It seems to be related to the first time that the instrument is played. It’s astonishing to me that such a fundamental bug has not been addressed by them. Luckily it’s really easy to send a very brief note with velocity 1 to Kontakt automatically during activation via GP Script to get around the problem.