Fade-in Bypass

Hi everyone,

If I have 2 vst instruments riding in tandem is it possible to create a “fade-in” bypass effect in GP4 so that when I enable/disable an instrument it fades in or out slowly. I am wondering if this might involve a script, or joining of a bypass button with a fader. Is this sort of automation possible in GP4?

Thank you…:slight_smile:

I think if you search for ‘Fade in’, you’ll find quite a few relevant topics that may help you out.

Thanks - I have had a look and the topic that caught my eye was this one!! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: I am a newbie to GP4 so scripting is beyond my current knowledge. There is some discussion about faders when activating a rack space etc. I only have 2 rack spaces currently - everything is experimental for me right now in GP4 (less so as the trial period goes on).

So essentially my question is can I trigger a fade with a bypass switch to sweetly remove an instrument from the mix. I am sure on day it’ll seem really easy to me!

Hi, did you see this post? It has scripts for both fade-in and fade-out.

Steve

1 Like

You can!
But if you bypass a plugin after having it finally faded out, there might be still some notes playing (even if you won’t hear them) and this could cause hanging notes, because there never was a note-off for them. But this behaviour might also depend on the particular plugin.
So if this should be handled properly, that situation has to be taken care of, say:

1. Fade out
  2. send a note-off for all notes still playing
  3. bypass the plugin

I actually use such an automation script in one or two rackspaces and it works pretty well with one press of a button to switch/crossfade between (i.e.) a piano and a lead sound and back.
I’ll have to look for it when i have my music-PC connected again…
To make the use of scripting easier for non-programmers, GP4 supports the so called “Scriptlets” which are user-made plugins that hold a ready-made script for a special task. Those can basically be used like any other plugin.
Maybe these Scriptlets can be a first aid for the moment:

or

To learn more about the use of Scriptlets see:

5 Likes

Thank you @schamass - great reply that contains what I need to know! I will experiment with these scripts. As a new user, on a trial it is sometimes useful to know that something is possible - even if I don’t have time to try before the trial ends.

5 days left on the trial…I am leaning strongly toward GP4 right now! Having such a great forum is a factor in this too

6 Likes

Hi all. This plug-in looks great (the one called ‘Auto move’ in the file ‘gp4_automove_scriptlet.gig’ posted above by @schamass) - just what I need. I would like to adjust the speed of movement (so it moves faster) and I see a line in the script as follows:
speed (“Speed of movement”) : Parameter 1…30 = 15

What do the numbers refer to? ie which ones should I alter to change the speed (or range of speeds)?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

This is a parameter you can assign to a knob widget. So you are able to adjust the speed at will with that widget.

Thanks for the reply. Sure - but if wanted the range of speeds to be different how would I adjust that? Is it here in the code or some setting of the widget itself?

There is a scriptlet in this blog: [blog] Scrolling your lyrics or lead sheets

… that also has some nice features.

It is written by a GP power user, Erik Schütz.

Great thanks I’ll take a look :+1:

The timer controlled movement is done via the “OnTimerTick()” callback, wich unfortunately is still undocumented… but there is some information in the forums, i.e. here:

So there is an action triggered every ~50ms, so on every time-step (50ms), the resulting (up/down) value is then incremented by 1 multiplied with the “speed” parameter, so that at speed=1 the movement will be slow and fluent and at speed=30 the movement will be fast but jumpy (value changes in steps of 30).

I don’t understand your asking for diffrent “speed ranges”, what exactly do you want to finally achieve?
What is your use case? Maybe i’m missing something, maybe you’re hunting ghosts, and this scriptlet might not be the perfect solution… who knows?

Thanks for the reply, which mostly answers my question - sorry if it’s not clear!! I was hoping to adjust the range of speeds for example, to increase the speed when the Speed of movement’ knob is at 0 and also further increase the speed when it is at 10 - so this pretty much allows for that. In the line:

speed (“Speed of movement”) : Parameter 1…30 = 15

The 1 is the speed when the ‘Speed of movement’ knob is fully down and 30 is the speed when it is fully up. So setting these numbers to say 5 and 50 achieves the right effect. As you say it is somewhat jumpy at higher speeds - is there a way to set a different time-step to 50 ms? And what does the 15 refer to?

The number that comes after ‘=’ is the value the parameter will be set to by default.