Examples of my typical gig

I’m here asking questions a lot, not contributing much, so I figured I should at least upload some screenshots of how I use GP. I started using it early 2017, GP1 and 2, and quickly settled on a work flow that does not incorporate improvements that came with later versions, like SetList, GlobalRackSpace or RigManager.

I did use “presets” for this particular show, very handy to quickly copy previous combinations of instruments and settings to new Rackspaces.

As you can see, I’m hardly a power user, but for the next show I have to build, I already have an idea how I would incorporate the aforementioned improvements.

I usually get an 88-key on the bottom tier from the backline provider, with whatever 76-key they have available on top.
I use the bottom keyboard as a local only for piano and EP’s, with the 76-key on top in “local off”, exclusively controlling/triggering the sounds in GigPerformer.

Since I don’t always get the keyboards I request, I have not assigned any keyboard controls to GP, I simply use the arrow keys to jump to the next Rackspace and that’s that.

I do want to get a small DAW controller with faders to be able to adjust individual patch volumes on the fly, I have already made the controls on the Rackspaces, just not assigned them to any externals yet.

Again, this is all pretty basic, but it’s been a real lifesaver for these away gigs!

2 Likes

While you see the RME audio interface here, on gigs I tend to use the 3.5mm output of the laptop. No big deal, GP just informs the audio interface is missing, connects to what’s available and rebuilds the gig accordingly, it all takes less than 30 seconds.

But I guess I really should use Rig Manager, to avoid those rebuilds every time I open the gig away from home.

You can use two instances. Link: [blog] How to use multiple instances in Gig Performer 4

I don’t see how that applies to my typical setup? I don’t use two keyboards with GP, just one.

It’s more the audio interface thing, avoiding rebuilds of the entire gig because I disconnected/reconnected my interface.

But its’ not that big a deal.

Actually, I’ve been looking into Rig Manager for the last hour or so, and it seems it’s only for MIDI devices, not audio?

For my purposes, adding audio devices to Rig Manager would be very useful.

That way GP can be completely device-agnostic.

Correct only for MIDI

1 Like

As you’re using a Mac, you could try using an Aggregate Device in the Mac’s Audio MIDI Setup app. Despite the name, you can just add a single interface to it. So GP will just see/use this device name, and you can swap out which interface is used within the Aggregate Device via the Audio MIDI Setup app.

If you are doing this while GP is open, bring up the GP Options window before you make any changes. GP does some special temporary handling of the audio interface while the Options window is open (doesn’t matter what tab), which has a benefit of there being no issues swapping the interfaces used in the Aggregate Device.

1 Like

Clever!

Not sure I’d prefer that over just waiting for GP to rebuild the gig, but good to know it’s possible.

Thanks for sharing :clap: I’ve learnt a LOT just from looking at other more experienced users wiring layouts and racks. It’s very valuable. Choosing not to map any controls makes sense if you never know what board you are getting. My only thought there is that it might be an advantage to get a little controller of some kind to take with you that would give you more immediate volume control on those 3 x rack widgets currently managing the volumes of each part. It could be a tiny lightweight 2 x octave board or it could just be a control surface with a few sliders or buttons. :+1: Great stuff.