E Book power options do not work for me in Win11

I’m running Windows 11 and just started working my way through the free optimization book. I got stuck at unhiding the power plans. The instructions did not work for me. In the past, I have used “csenabled” but that command is completely missing from the registry. An hour searching for solutions turned heaps of old answers that do not work (I do wish people would try things out before posting dead solutions). Is there another way to unhide the power options please?

As I recall, you use Microsoft Surface?

Correct, I do. Surface Pro 8.

Yes, on Microsoft Surface this was a popular hack: How to Unlock Power Plans on Surface Devices - SurfaceTip

But it seems that was removed on Surface products on recent feature updates.

Can you try this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/csenabled-not-available/cb49f247-090a-40cb-905b-7fe2c18f6ea5?auth=1&page=8

I see reports “this one worked perfectly”.

Disclaimer: these operations involve editing of Registry entries. Make a registry backup before proceeding and use at your own risk.

I don’t have a Surface device to play with it.

1 Like

My ThinkPad P17 has a locked power management profile. I found that out when trying to install Bitsum’s Highest Performance power profile. After some research, I learned that the previous model (the P73) had some well-documented heat management issues. Considering the fine line that laptop designers have to balance on, I decided trying to circumvent the locked power profile was foolish and abandoned the idea. The P17 has tons of processing capability, so getting a little more wasn’t worth the risk to me.

Yeah, I think you are right. A few weeks back, my SP8 was running really hot on the High Performance plan. So I dropped it back to the balanced plan. It sees to be running as well on the balanced plan as the high performance one, and is running cooler as well. I recently reset it, and that is when the power options enabling vanished,

1 Like

Another thing that the Suurface Pro won’t do now is recognise my external DVD burner, Yes, people still want to burn CD’s and DVd’s. So, keep an old computer around if you want to do old school stuff.

1 Like

Compatibility problem?
Our non-profit association uses an Asus burner that works with a Surface Pro 7.

I’d be keen to know how you got it to see it. In SP 8 Device manager, Optical drives don’t even show up. Perhaps its another “delelopment” for the SP 8 and Win 11.

If you search the web, you will see that many people have been experiencing problems with unrecognised devices in the device manager for years, long before Vista or other OS. Nothing new under the sun, but don’t ask me why!
Question:does your device have an external power supply?

Yes it does in that I supply power to it using a dual cord from a wall wart.

Yes, but is this the first time that optical drives have vanished from the Device Manager?

I could tell you to look up the answer yourself but I made the effort to ask my web browser and it said: yes and yes :wink:

May not be for a Surface Pro but for various PCs whose optical drive has disappeared from the device manager.
The first page I looked at said that the problem had been solved by updating the firmware of the optical drive.

I leave you to look for other leads as I have to look for my wife who has suddenly disappeared from the kitchen :boom:

2 Likes

Gosh, I hope she reappears before the next meal:)

4 Likes

Then maybe you should have a closer look at the de-wife manager! :sunglasses: :wink:

3 Likes

Excellent! But do not say that too loudly! Do not give some bad ideas :fearful:

2 Likes

With the roll-out of Windows 11, MS made a big push to improve security and one of the initiatives was to enforce the required MS registered digital signatures for drivers which run at kernel level. Many optical drives used unsigned generic drivers that were public domain and around forever. If they didn’t have a registered digital signature they don’t work in W11. As others have noted though, it is usually easy to update these. However, there is some software/hardware where, due to few people using the stuff, the developer will never get his driver software signed due to the expense and ongoing maintenance. There used to be workarounds for this but these were also shut down with W11. And it’s not just at the OS level any more, it’s enforced at the silicone level. In some cases that can be modified, but you have to have an intimate knowledge of what you are doing, and risk bricking your MB and CPU.

2 Likes

As a follow up to missing power options in Windows 11, Robin Vincent at Molton Music (https://www.moltenmusictechnology.com/) has just released extensive testing results for the Surface Pro 8 and music production. It seems that MS have refined the SP8 to the point that alternative power plans are no longer needed. I am wedded to the SP line myself, having had a SP4, SP6, and now the SP8. Small footprint, portability and performance along with reliability are the main reasons for me. The article is worth a read simply because of Windows 11, even if you don’t own a Surface Pro. Robin is a very thorough guy and funny with it.

2 Likes

I just got a Dell win 11 pro as a backup laptop. I’m trying to follow the optimization guide and I cannot get the “high performance” and “ultimate performance” options to appear. This is the sections I’m referring to:

Windows PowerShell (Admin) or Windows Terminal (Admin) on Windows 11 (I actually tried both):
and pasting these two command lines:
High Performance: powercfg -duplicatescheme 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c
Ultimate Performance: powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61

The plans do not appear. I am an administrator and running both PowerShell and Terminal as an administrator. Any ideas?

1 Like

From this article:

" If Ultimate Performance continues to fail to appear within the Power Options pane, you must disable Modern Standby in Windows. The quickest way to do that is to run the following command through an elevated command line:

reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power /v PlatformAoAcOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 0

Once you do that, re-run the Ultimate Performance activation command:

powercfg –duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61

Restart your computer, bring up the Power Options console, and Ultimate Performance should be present among the list of power plans."

4 Likes

Ah! I missed that! Thank you, it worked! :slight_smile:

1 Like