Duplicated rackspace that differs only in the preset loaded into a plugin

I have a rackspace that I duplicate all the time, changing only the preset that’s loaded into the main plugin. Obviously I can’t do this using variations, which all have to share the one plugin preset that was saved with the rackspace. But the proliferation of rackspaces with identical plugins and patch layouts can be problematic. Questions:

1. Do each of these rackspaces take up additional memory, or are the patch layout and plugins shared in memory somehow?

2. Having multiple “identical” rackspaces is fine when each one is for a separate song, but I have another gig file set up as a sort of demo for various plugins - for example, the 25 synth plugins in Arturia’s V Collection. I’ve ended up with several rackspaces for each plugin, giving me different classic preset examples for that plugin, and my gig file has gotten unwieldy with over 100 rackspaces. It would be nice if there was a way to at least group these rackspaces by plugin.

3. When I play live, I’m glued to my MIDI keyboard, playing right hand and bass, working both pedals, and singing, so there’s no way I can interact with on-screen widgets, which is why the MacBook is not positioned next to me. My keyboard sends a program change to GigPerformer to select the rackspace for a song, and the keys, pedals, wheels and knobs send any needed controller message to G.P. So I haven’t needed to set up any widgets/panels on my rackspaces, making Variations kind of useless for my purposes. But if there was a way to learn everything about a plugin’s current state, and somehow save that in a Variation (I suppose that would require a widget for each setting?), then I would be able to use variations to effectively change the plugin’s preset. Is this a completely crazy idea?

The state of a plugin is only stored in the rackspace and yes a widget mapped to every changed parameter would be a solutions - but you would need many widgets.

It’d be nice if there was an additional “invisible settings” feature in a Variation that wouldn’t require associated widgets (I don’t need the widgets). And then of course there would need to be a way to snapshot and store all the plugin’s settings, into the Variation. Like I said, crazy idea…

When you think of Omnisphere would need hundreds of widgets

Did you try scripting to send pc messages to a plugin to recall a preset - not recommended but could work.

You do not need scripting to send a Program Change message to a plugin.

All you need to do is attach a knob (or other widget) to a MIDI In block that is connected to your instrument plugin and select “PC” as the parameter. When you now move your knob - it will send PC messages 0-127 to all plugins attached to that MIDI In block.

Doing this (or other ways of reloading entire plugin states) will result in slow responses, will prevent you from using Patch Persist functionality and any other, rackspace specific, features, but it would work I guess.

1 Like

Once you do that you would be at the mercy of the plugin, including any significant delay, while it restores stuff…the point of widgets and in particular variations is to support, well, variants, i.e, just a few settings (tweaks) that can be changed essentially instantly, without noticeable delays.

Yes, I get it. For settings tweaks that need to happen instantly, while playing a song for instance, Variations are the way to go. For other things, like my at-home demo gig file of the Arturia V Collection 7 synths, I’m setting up Variations that send a program change via a knob. In this case I don’t care about delays – this will save me a lot of duplicated effort and proliferation of rackspaces.

I’ve finally gotten the program changes working, after hours of research and testing (thanks @djogon for pointing me in the right direction). The Native Instruments plugins worked immediately with the PC knob widget. The Arturia plugins did not, and after trying everything I could think of and reading many articles and postings, I finally stumbled on this answer: I’ve been using the VST3 plugins, and apparently Arturia has not implemented the PC functionality in those versions. I switched to the VST versions of their plugins, and now the program changes are working fine. Go figure!

2 Likes