Drum VST in Gig Performer

Hi there PianistDallas…(or in fact anyone with experience with Groove Agent!)

…not sure if you are still out there! I’ve just downloaded the Steinberg Groove Agent trial…but I’m having trouble trying to program Gig Performer to actually start and stop patterns.

ie. I press “learn parameter”…but when I press the play button to start the pattern…or in fact press any pattern…none of this seems to respond?

Did you figure this out? Can we create control buttons that will launch patterns with Groove Agent from Gig Performer? Maybe this is where Strike 2 is just a better solution? Or maybe I’m doing something wrong in the attempt to learn parameters.

Thanks!

Groove Agent works similar to Strike 2 in regards of playing patterns… of course you have to be in “PATTERN MODE”, and as soon as you have loaded a kit with patterns, the patterns can simply be started via a MIDI “Note ON” message and will stop with a “Note OFF”.
You can see the regarding note values for the patterns in the corner of each pattern pad:

To be able to send those note messages to the plugin, you’ll have to connect it in the wiring view with a MIDI-IN block - like this:
2022-06-23 17_57_59-Window

The final thing to do, will be to place a bunch of widgets (latching behaviour enabled!) on your panel and map it to the MIDI-block which is connected with Groove Agent and choose the corresponding note message for the Pattern Pad to be triggered:

Then activating one of the widgets should make the corresponding pattern play, while deactivating the widget will stop the pattern again.
Of course you can connect the widgets to any buttons or keys of your MIDI controller.
You could also create diffrent rackspace variations with the desired widget activated, wihch will then make that pattern play automatically and stop the previous one…
…endless possibilities, as always. :wink:

Thanks for all the info . That’s great!

Appreciate it as I was quite confused!
Starting to get there.
I also discovered I can program my Maschine controller directly to play whatever pad I need and do it that way too

The jury is still out for me though as to whether this whole drum machine approach is going to be that useful for cover songs etc versus just recording a backing track.

We’ve got 2 of us with just guitar and keys so trying to figure out how to best add drums to the mix…

…how easy it is to say play keyboard then simultaneously be changing drum patterns might make me feel a bit like one of those buskers with about 5 instruments strapped to the body!

Will do some testing! Thanks.