Drum VST in Gig Performer

OK, I am a keyboarder and play in ear with a click as time referene.
I am using 192 Samples wich repsond in about 4ms latancy.

But I do not need any incominy audio, only plugins which produce sound.

For me all latency < 5ms is perfect.

I am using RME UFX II and a Mac Book pro 2018

Hi SplashChoke,
I have tried it briefly and it worked ok for me but Iā€™m no drummer and didnā€™t play aroung with latency settings or anything other than a quick trial.
Sorry I couldnā€™t be more helpful.
Gig Performer is great BTW.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been using SSD5 for a week now and I am quite happy. The sound library is great and the flexibility with the internal mixer is awesome. Unfortunately, besides the pluginā€™s master mute, nothing inside the plugin can be controlled by GP.

Iā€™ve experimented with routing different drums, cymbals and percussion instruments to different plugin audio outputs, such that the mix (and additional effects) can be controlled by GP. Also filtering the MIDI input for the plugin has cool possibilities. The open hi hat sound is sampled in 5 settings 1/5th open 2/5 open etc. for both the tip as the shank samples. The e/merge only outputs open or closed MIDI messages. Iā€™ve made the sample to use dependent on a continuous controller using GPScript, which is fun to play with.

Unlike for guitar players who tend to move around in relation to their amplifier, drummers remain in the same position relative to their instrument. For me too much (or indeed too little) latency is noticeable. The Pearl e/merge that I use is very well modeled in that respect. Routing SSD5ā€™s output to the left channel and the moduleā€™s direct output to the right channel is a great tool to find the acceptable latency. The Haas effect will make the sound appear to come from the right or left depending on the latency being too large or small, respectively. A setting of 64 samples is a good compromise. However, some elements of the kit still appear to come from the left and some from the right. I think that is due to the SSD5 samples being generated all with the same delay, while the internal sounds are generated with a delay that is appropriate for the distance between drum and ear. I may experiment with the MIDI filter to introduce some note-dependent delay to get to the same feel. To be continued.

Steven Slate Drums were not very helpful when I asked if their plugin worked with GP, pointing me to their page of supported hosts. I can attest from experience that GP can work with much lower latency settings than Pro Tools (one of the supported DAWs that I happen to own) using SSD5 in combination with my RME FireFace UFX. I hope this information will help any future e-drummers to come over to the GP side. You wonā€™t regret you did.

3 Likes

MODO drum. So tweakable.

1 Like

And a killer is Superior Drummer 3.

Hi All. Just came to this old thread after seeing the Backstage interview with Erik SchĆ¼tz where he mentioned using Air Strike as a a drum machineā€¦which got me thinking about using this live for a bit of extra percussion whilst playing keys.

Does anyone know if this type of automationā€¦fills, introsā€¦etc would be possible for live use with Addictive Drums 2 (or other drum vsts I have like SP 2 or Komplete drum sets) in GPā€¦or is that a unique feature of Strike 2? Thanks!

1 Like

What do you mean by automation?

Sorry pianopaulā€¦what I mean is in the thread above someone mentions that they program up a midi controller (a pad controller)ā€¦so that pad 1 is intro, pad 2 a fill, pad 3 standard beat etcā€¦so basically using Strike 2 as a drum machine that can provide a bit of additional backing in a live contextā€¦but with variations.

Is that unique to Strike 2 as a ā€˜drum machineā€™ or could Addictive Drums 2 which I already ownā€¦in combo with GP somehow do this too? Thanks!

Ok, that reminds me to spectrasonics Stylus RMX.

Thanksā€¦reading more above it looks like JamStix 4 is an optionā€¦just not sure if you can trigger the different patterns via set keys or pad controllersā€¦in this video you can set it to control any other drum vst you haveā€¦looks like an interesting possibility as a ā€˜fake live drummer!ā€™ if I can figure out how to trigger different patterns

I know this works at least with MDrummer. With Jamstix 4, you will play with an AI drummer who plays how he wants not how YOU wants him to play. I have more control with MDrummer.

1 Like

I guess, this functionality might be provided by any drum plugin that works pattern basedā€¦
Depending on what drum- and style set you have loaded, Steinbergs Groove Agent will also have diffrent style variations and fills which are triggered by padsā€¦ maybe this is worth a closer look too.

See the pads on this screenshot of the ā€œstyle playerā€ā€¦

Picture taken from this review:

1 Like

Thanks Schamass and David-sanā€¦will check out those optionsā€¦MDrummer and Steinbergs groove agentā€¦

will be interested if anyone else out there is actually doing this live.
In the old days we used an Alesis SR16 drum machine in a small church band to do this type of thingā€¦but have wondered if it is now possible with GP and a drum vstā€¦

Otherwise Iā€™ve been using full backing tracks which is more ā€˜professionalā€™ā€¦but does leave me very locked in! ā€˜Press Play and Prayā€™ I think is how David described it! Thanks.

Here is an interesting video showcasing this ā€˜live optionā€™ with Steinberg Groove makerā€¦
$268 is a fair bit thoughā€¦so will certainly research other options!

I bought MDrummer during a 50% sale for 125 euros. They have often such salesā€¦

Thanks Davidā€¦will check that outā€¦this tutorial is excellent at explaining the Steiberg optionā€¦certainly is intelligent in what it offers with loops able to switch backwards and forwards seamlessly between various patterns/fills etcā€¦these solutions do look like viable live optionsā€¦as a keyboardist Iā€™m just not sure how Iā€™d go remembering to trigger everything at the right time whilst also playing my keyboard parts! I see someone above was even using their music sheets software to control the patternsā€¦certainly interesting ideas!

I donā€™t know which price you are referring to, but the regular price (even in the Steinbbergā€™s shop) is about $179. Unfortunately, Groove Agent doesnā€™t seem to be in Steinbergā€™s ā€œSpring Saleā€ā€¦ most probably it will be in the ā€œEnd of summerā€ sale (which mostly is up to 50% off) but for that youā€™d have to wait until Augustā€¦
BTW: Our GP-user @bigalminal is a solo-artist who makes excessive use of Strike 2ā€¦ maybe he can give you some advice on this topic?

Thanks Schamassā€¦actually I can see that Groove agent site adjusted the price to Australian Dollarsā€¦so hence why it shows up higherā€¦will keep an eye out for sales!

I guess the other question is maybe Iā€™m thinking about it the wrong wayā€¦pehaps I should consider a regular hardware drum machineā€¦(might dust off the old 90ā€™s SR-16) googling around though they seem these days to be very focused on the world of hip hopā€¦trapā€¦electronic musicā€¦

which is definitely not my genre for thisā€™ teenager of the 80ā€™sā€™ era conventional rock and roll cover band player!

Anyway has been an interesting educational journey exploring the options out thereā€¦thanks!

1 Like

I had a SR-16 for quite a time (and sold it when i started to use GP), as far as i can say, it is very restricted compared to plugins like Strike 2 or Groove Agent, not only sound- or style wise, but also regarding the number of variations and fills (the SR-16 only knows two of them for each pattern!).

And the problem of not getting triggered the pattern change or fill at the right time will stay the sameā€¦ so i would actually go for a plugin solution!
You also had to feed the additional audio sources somewhere into your signal chain and you would have to carry an additional piece of hardwareā€¦

2 Likes

Thanksā€¦shall keep th software option at the forefrontā€¦I think Groove agent is my pick so far in my use case. Thanks!

1 Like