Different Audio Devices and Wiring

Not sure if this is doable but here goes.

I have a UAD Apollo and a WING both connected to different computers

On the UAD
Input 1 Electric
Input 2 Acoustic and MIDI Guitar
Output 1-2 Electric, Acoustic, Synth, Other
Output 3-4 Acoustic
Output 5-6 Synth
Output 7-8 Other

On the WING
Input 3 Electric
Input 4 Acoustic and MIDI
Output 11-12 Electric
Output 13-14 Acoustic
Output 15-16 Synth/Other

All are in the Global Rackspace

I assume there is no way to save these settings by computer so that I could load them ala Rig Manager?

Right now, I either have to bring up the Gig file and rewire it or save as a separate file which is fine until the main file changes.

MM

No I don’t belive so… rig manager is just about midi devices.

I switch between two different computers with two different audio interfaces, one has half the i/o as the other. I just let GP enable virtual channels when I swtich to the one with half as many channels and that works for me… but it wouldn’t solve for your situation unless you used the same inputs and outputs on each interface.

The solution I follow since GP4 is to never access my audio interface from any rackspace but the global rackspace. Local rackspace use From/To Global Rackspace instead. Hence I can patch my audio interface in the Global rackspace. Following this way, you could save and restore a custom Global Rackspace for different rigs.

6 Likes

@David-san I hadn’t thought of that and I think that would work for me. Would all the widgets and foot switches all keep the same mappings when you import the global rackspace?

MM

1 Like

I think so, yes. :wink:

Yes it does! Great stuff!

You can create a new thread in the Tips section, this is a great tip (other Gig Perforner users will benefit from this).

1 Like

Just adding a thought to the solution of routing through the global rackspace…

I do this and share the same Gig files (stored on a file server) across three computers with different audio interfaces.

My setups look a little like yours in that there aren’t conflicts (at least that I see) in your setup. That makes it easy to use a mixer block right after the Audio In and before the Audio Out blocks so the channels of both interfaces get routed internally to the right places without having to save and reload a Global Rackspace for each system. I just load my gigs on any of my systems and they work.

Image below for reference…

In that example (which isn’t a great one but demonstrates the point) my guitar could come in from any of three inputs (mono) which I route to three different stereo inputs on the mixer. I bring them into three different mixer channels because the signal comes in at slightly different levels on different interfaces, so I adjust the gain accordingly in the mixer. Whichever computer I load the gig on, the guitar always comes out of that mixer block in stereo on channels 1 & 2 at a consistent gain level.

In this particular example I also have ADAT audio coming in (from whatever) on channels 11 & 12 on one interface and 19 & 20 on a different one. I tie them both to inputs 7 & 8 on the mixer and they just pass through to 7 & 8.

I arranged my inputs on my different audio interfaces so I never run into conflicts. At one time I had Mics running into channels 1 & 2 on one interface, guitar running into 1, on another, and drums on another. I started setting up widgets so that I could re-route stuff through mixer blocks and just press a button depending on which rig I was using. But then I realized I had enough unused inputs everywhere that I could simplify things doing it as above. No widgets or load/save necessary.

1 Like

I did. Great idea

1 Like