Critical data files

In the event of catastrophic hardware failure (or if my macbook gets stolen at a gig ;-))…

What are the critical data files to recover with? the .gig file is the obvious one. Anything else I would need?

In this scenario I know I would need to re-install gig performer software.

It seems like my customized VST presets are critical as well and I know I’d need to add that to the list but that is outside of the gig performer context of course.

And… Yes, I have a backup laptop prepared for this event as well. More looking to see which files I should save up to my cloud storage for backup.

3 Likes

Some useful details can be found here:

2 Likes

Save them as GP Presets then they will all be located under the Gig Performer folder in your Documents folder.

2 Likes

This is very good advise. Unfortunately not all plug-in provider applications allow you to change their presets locations. Further, it can get hopelessly confusing if you have custom installation locations unless you have a meticulous and well documented method to how you set the file locations up. In my case I just had to completely reinstall the OS, and the old registry was corrupted. The old Windows installation is renamed to Windows.old and theoretically everything is in there and presets salvageable - if you accepted default settings or documented your changes. Backups are helpful but not effortless, the best solution is to have a backup computer. GPs documentation of its file structure is wonderful, something that many other applications don’t do very well if at all.

1 Like

I’d definitely export:

• The Rig Manager rigs
  • Audio Settings
  • Gig Performer options

Also created a backup of this folder: C:\Users\Username\Documents\Gig Performer, e.g.

• Specific widget curves (perhaps it may take some time in redoing them).
  • Favorites
  • other stuff from the folder

And finally review and backup Gig Performer extensions.

1 Like