Copy widget... with mapping?

Howdy,

When I am in Panels/Edit, and I duplicate a widget, i noticed that it doesn’t duplicate the mapping (or current level).

Is there a way to do that?

Thanks, Eric

2 Likes

Not sure what your screen shot is suppose to indicate but when you duplicate a widget, the assumption is that it is going to have a different mapping (there’s rarely any point in two widgets being mapped to the same parameter, better to use widget groups for that functionality)

I have revamped my panel layout, with many new features (many from the new system actions).

So i would like to cut paste them in to my old racks… (easily over a 100 between 5 bands).

(in the screen shot, you can see i have added transpose buttons, next song buttons, mutes and more)

alas… no way to copy over mapping on a widget?

or is there another way to accomplish adding new layouts/panels to existing rackspaces (and they are mapped) ?

thanks! Eric

I have the same challenge as you describe. The way I do it, is to create a (quite big) script that does among various other things, also (semi) automatic mapping. To do that youneed to make some plugins accessible via gscript.

If you know some programming, I guess you can figure out what parts to use from my script, see Michel Keijzers - Template Rackspace

1 Like

ah Cool. I enjoyed reading about you, and your in depth study of programming gp4… sadly, I don’t think I have the programming skillz that you have.

My old rackspaces still work, just would be much better if i could update them with new layouts as they come , which is often!

thanks, Eric

Oh, I see — you said you were duplicating a widget, which implied it was going on the same panel.
You want to be able to copy a widget to a different rackspace and retain the mappings.

The problem here is that there’s no real way to know to which plugin on the new rackspace the mapping should be applied. Consider for example the following scenarios

1. You have a widget mapped to plugin A on rackspace 1 but plugin A doesn’t exist on rackspace 2
  2. You have a widget mapped to plugin A on rackspace 1 but there are multiple instances of that plugin on rackspace 2, but possibly with different names. Which one should be used? Even for the System Actions plugin, there are some items that can be different if you have multiple instances

I guess this could be handled by popping up a dialog with a list of all the plugins in rackspace 2 from which you could choose the one you want.

I’ll add this to our feature request tracking system but can’t say if/when it would be implemented.

1 Like

In the paste mode, you could have the option of pasting just the widget, or pasting the widget with mapping. If there is nothing for it to map to, then you could have the pop up asking: “what to map to”.

Anyways, now that I know this, I am having an epiphany where I may move all the standard layouts and goodies into the global rack. (e.g. always have an 8 chan mixer, next song button etc)

Then each rackspace would only have A) input widgets with all their splits, B) the plugins… will send those outputs to the global rack…

thinking out loud here.

Ah… question… can you save the global rack within a gig file? or can you only save it as a rackspace? (to move it to my portable rig)

thanks, Eric

The word “global” in global rackspace means global relative to the rackspaces in a gig. Not global as in “global for all gig files” (end of the lecture :slight_smile:). Yes, it automatically saves within a gig file. Each gig file can have its own global rackspace.

Hope this helps.

My intuitive paste behavior would be that the connections will be made to plugins with the same name:

• If there is no plugin with the same name, do not make the connection
  • If there is a plugin with the same name, do make the connection

The same would yield for the mapping to the plugin, but also the ‘learn MIDI parameter’ part (thus both input and output).

It also would be nice if this behavior works for the favorites (plugins stored with ‘save as favorite’ if I remember right).

3 Likes

What to connect when more than 1 instance of the plugin exists in the rackspace?

Then use the name of the plugin, those are unique. If there is none with the same name, use the plugin of the same type, if there are more, don’t connect, or ask via a dialog box maybe.

1 Like

Does that really make sense?

E.g. if you copy a bunch of hammond drawbar, rotator speed widgets, drive etc, it would automatically connect to the (probably single) hammond plugin.

In this case I would just duplicate a rackspace and remove what is not needed.

1 Like

That’s indeed the easiest, but not usable in all situations (where already a ’ bigger’ rackspace is made and want to add some portion from another rackspace. But yes, it’s best to start a new rackspace with a similarly looking rackspace.

+1 from me for such enhanced functionality.

I would guess that it would take some amount of programming/time to add this functionality to GP, —> with a somehow “context-sensitiv behave”.

Automated by predfined user settings plus popup windows where necessary.
It would take a thought or two to come up with something nifty.
…just how much work would it be to implement such ?

for me and vs. my usecase scenarios, any enhancements in “Widget-handling” would be most welcome. ( Not complaining. I´m VERY happy with GP ! …each of the last big updates were big jumps forward in handling,)

Note that it’s partly possible to do this with a script, it’s what I did in Michel Keijzers - Template Rackspace - Gig Performer in Action - Gig Performer Community

Incoming CCs are routed to widgets, and the widgets are mapped to plugins. But it takes some effort to write such a script, typically useful when you want to copy it often; or in my case for EVERY rackspace.

2 Likes

I would like this function. In the process of creating and improving panels, I find myself copying widgets that I’d like at least the plugin to be auto connected when I paste the widget as I usually set up multiple controls for the same plugin when setting controls to use in variations and I’m always coming up with another parameter that I’d like to change when a different variation is selected, so I’m finding myself having to copy an existing widget with the idea that it will be used to control a different parameter in the same plugin. If there was a way to connect that plugin to the pasted widget, it would save a step that I find myself repeating a lot.

2 Likes

No doubt we are asking a lot. That being said.

Imagine, loading a new panel you have been working on, just below your old one. Then copy and paste widgets to your hearts content until you are happy. (and not having to constantly assign mapping.)

As a workaround (to reduce the need of copying and pasting widgets) … I did spend the morning making a 2 space Global Rack that has most of my repeated portions of rackspaces, as per the screen shot. (its a tad messy for now, and obviously the rackspace above will have less repetition as this progresses)

GP is super flexible, love it.

(added note)… I guess I shouldn’t call it a “workaround”, I am just using the functionality as intended :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you are on a Mac, you might want to look at Automator and recording a series of keystrokes to create the widget and assign the mapping. You could then loop that to create across multiple rackspaces.

MM

1 Like