Connect 2 midi keyboards via midi

Meh, there’s nothing to it - one end of those things plugs into your USB hub and then you plug expression pedals and sustain pedals into the other end. They produce CC values. I used to use these all the time. I don’t any more because I bought an RJM Mastermind MIDI pedal controller (which also works over USB) and allows you to plug in multiple expression pedals and sustain pedals, etc.

2 Likes

Cool! With my two keyboard live rig, I use 4 expression pedals (upper and lower splits) and two sustain pedals (upper and lower). Is there a USB device that would allow me to plugin all of that “footwear”?

Just follow the link above to Audiofront… :smirk:

Not any less expensive than my DIN5 config with MIDI Solutions…

I also use a Midi Solutions Merge box and have had no trouble with it. Works beautifully to combine 2 keyboard controllers into the one Midi Din IN on my interface.

1 Like

Perhaps not but way more convenient.

How so? Same amount of plugs and connections.

Sorry - I was confusing you with someone else who was using way more pedals.

However, I would rather plug everything into USB and avoid DIN5 completely.

As soon as you need more than one pedal, DIN5 becomes awkward. I used to use a MOTU TimePiece and I’ve found that USB into hubs is way more reliable.

@dhj
I use a Roland FC300 connected to a Steinberg UR22.
Do you think it is ok or would it be better to connect FC300 in computer usb port (for example through a Midi Expression IO) ?

No, I’m talking about equipment where there is USB connectivity at both ends.

It seems that the FC300 has only a DIN5 MIDI connector, if it works for you I don’t see any reason to change something to you setup, especially if the FC300 is your only DIN5 MIDI controller.

I used to use a Midi Expression iO (midi I/O+4 trs to usb) then I recently got the FC300 from a friend.
I can connect it either in Midi Expression or Steinberg UR22.
If both are right, I stay connected to UR22 because at the moment I do not need more pedals or switches connections.