Connect 2 midi keyboards via midi

Hello, I’m looking to use two midi keyboards with Gig Performer.
I wanted to connect them via midi on my sound interface, but it has only 1 midi out and 1 midi in.
I thought I could do
1st Keyboard > midi out to
Midi in of 2nd Keyboard > Midi out to
Midi in of Sound interface.

I put different midi channels and create midi in omni blocks for each controller but it doesn’t seem to work.
The second keyboard works but not the first one (in the chain).

I guess this can’t be done like this ? :wink:

This will not work.
What physical Midi In does your sound interface have?
USB or 5pin ?

It has both, I wanted to use only 5pin since I don’t have enough USB ports for sound interface + 2 keyboards + external drive.

Can you upload a picture of your Midi Ins on your sound interface?

Here we go

Not sure it works, because usually the MIDI out of a keyboard only sends its own MIDI messages out, not those received. There was usually a MIDI Thru for passing MIDI messages from MIDI in to MIDI Thru. So it should not work the way you want. But sometimes there are internal MIDI configuration in controllers for the MIDI out (MIDI out = MIDI out only or MIDI out = MIDI Thru + MIDI out). That’s something you have to check for both keyboards. If at least one of the keyboard has this option it will determine the order of the connection.

For now do you receive both MIDI controllers in the GP MIDI monitor ?

If not and there is no MIDIThru+out in your controllers, the standard solution would be to use a DIN5 MIDI merger or rather use MIDI via USB ?

You will have only one MIDI in block corresponding to the MIDI of your audio interface. You can duplicate this block and filter the channels of your controllers and give them a different name if you want.

Right!
use a Midi Merger, Gig Performer will see 1 Midi In Device and in Gig Performer you react on the Channels.

What keyboards do you use?
Some keyboards have MIDI-merge functions in their options, so you might possibly merge the 5-pin MIDI-IN to the USB-MIDI port (or vice versa)… you should check this.

1 Like

You could use a USB-Hub and connect your audio-interface and your 2 keyboards to your computer -
when your keyboards do have USB-Midi.

1 Like

I use a nord electro 6D and a roland A800 pro.

I’m afraid of the stability of an USB hub for live performance but maybe it’s ok ?

Use an active USB-Hub and your are fine

Thanks ! Would you have one to recommand ?

No, I am using a normal Hub and it is working OK.
But I read in the forum that an active Hub is safer.

Maybe this:

1 Like

So you are ready to go… It has a “Merge switch” at its side. Have a look at the manual:

2 Likes

Exactly, and as I told you before this determines the order of connection. The Roland A800 pro is the one connected to the in of the Audio interface.

Thank you !! I check that this afternoon :)))
So many things to learn and understand… Hopefuly, I’ve got plenty of time these days :smiley:

My advice is to forget MIDI merging or daisy-chaining. Yes, it will work, but it can be confusing and less flexible. Use a powered USB hub to connect two keyboards to your computer. Connect your audio interface USB directly to the computer. If your audio interface has a 5-pin MIDI in, you can use it for one of your keyboards. For maximum flexibility in GP or any other app, you will need two independent MIDI devices recognized by these apps. If you merge MIDI and GP sees only one device, you will need to send keyboard 1 to, say MIDI channel 1, and keyboard 2 to channel 2. It can be done, but it’s more confusing and you will occasionally get unwanted results. I’ve used a 3-keyboard setup for many years, and there are many tricks that you just can’t do with traditional MIDI routing. For instance, if you have an independent sustain and expression pedal for each keyboard, you use one of those controllers on keyboard 2 to control a plugin that keyboard 1 is playing. Say you have two plugins layered on keyboard 1. You can independently control the level of each by assigning the two expression pedals accordingly.

My live touring rig consists of (among other things), 88 note weighted controller from Studio Logic, three Roland A800s, MIDI foot pedal controller and various other surfaces. Everything is connected via USB ports - several hubs, etc. I haven’t had a single problem in 8 years of touring.