Connect 2 midi keyboards via midi

Thank you for your answer, that’s great !
I’ll go that way then.

Yihaaaa ! Great :slight_smile:

Are you using an external drive ?

I have a small portable USB drive plugged in to the hub to do Time Machine backups

1 Like

Ok so you use only “internal” VST ?

I do - but I know others (including my development partner) who keep samples on external drives, also via USB, with no issues.

I wouldn’t install the actual VSTs on an external drive but it’s generally fine to have the samples live externally.

The point is, there’s generally no problem using USB instead of old-fashioned DIN and my own experience has been that USB is way more reliable.

Only with Gig Performer with other plugin host it can be a nightmare when you switch on/off an USB controller. That’s why “historically” I have two of my keyboards controllers on the DIN5 MIDI of my audio interface (I have two MIDI in). I don’t know what you did regarding USB MIDI devices connections, but you did it well!

2 Likes

I don’t really trust my Windows-System to properly handle USB-connections over a longer time period. I already encountered the strangest effects, that’s why i connect my MIDI-keyboard via DIN5 - but i only have one keyboard, so i won’t have those limitations that @richw described above, which are valid points.

I use this to merge my 2 keyboards via DIN5. Have had zero problems, but I carry a spare box just in case. On sale now at Perfect Circuit for $58.99 US.

1 Like

But using the Roland A800 Pro integrated merger is free… :wink:

Hi Dextroze,
I use both DIN and usb-midi at the same time on one laptop:
My yamaha MFC-10 sends midi-out to my motif es8 and via midi-through goes into an edirol UM3ex usb-midi hub, this way I can PC and CC messages (currently I have two FC 5 pedals, and two FC7 pedals connected) to GP and the motif, on one channel, or divided on several, whatever suits best.

Next, I have a launchkey connected via a simple Icidu 4port usb-hub.
That Icidu device has plugged in: my focusrite scarlett 18i8, the edirol UM3ex, that launchkey, and an old korg nanopad.

If you’re going this way, I should tell you: please remind which usb port on the computer or laptop you plugged the usb-hub in!!
Otherwise, it could get messy, in my experience…

Good luck!

I use 2 Studiologic controllers. No such luck… :mask:

What do you mean?

The Studiologic controllers don’t have a MIDI merger. I’ve tried doing what Dextroze explained in the OP.

1st Keyboard > midi out to
Midi in of 2nd Keyboard > Midi out to
Midi in of Sound interface.

I know that - I use one of those myself but why aren’t you just using a USB hub and plug both studio logic keyboards into it?

I needed another expression pedal, so I use MIDI Solutions Pedal Controller which is DIN5. Plus my USB audio interface is DIN5. Simpler just to keep it all DIN…and it just works all the time. :wink:

https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php

Interesting. Perhaps we can chat offline about how I can use their products to eventually convert my setup from DIN to MIDI?

And my wife thanks you for finding more gear for me to buy… :laughing:

Thank you guys for your answers.
I think I won’t need 2 expression pedals but…if I did…I still can go the USB Hub’s way ?
From my point of view it seems to be the easiest way for me, and I just hope this is stable !
Thanks for your help guys