Coming Up Feb. 27 in NYC

Not exactly sure why this says that I curated this concert, it was really the Spectrum people who put it together. Anyway, my set (at 5pm) will feature electric guitar, including lots of processing and triggering synths and looping; 12-string guitar; and some live drum machine looping - all being controlled and processed via GP.

7 Likes

Here are 3 photos from my recent performance at Spectrum. I think it went quite well and I plan to book more. For MIDI controllers I used the SoftStep 2 and a bunch of pedals connected with MIDI Express boxes, the Sensel Morph (looks like an iPad in front of me), and the Livid Instruments Guitar Wing, the cool looking thing attached to the guitar. All photos by Patrick Cortney.

GP is visible a bit in the first photo…

8 Likes

Wow, looks great: Livid Instruments

Can you tell us a bit more how you use it in combination with Gig Performer? :slight_smile:

P.S.
If you are a new community user and you have stumbled upon this thread, check out also this thread.

@tonycore
Are you satisfied with the guitar wing?
I had the opportunity to borrow one about 10 years ago, but it was a disaster: the controllers were not customizable, there was no editor, you had to press very hard on the pads to get a dynamic response. I tried it on stage, fortunately only in a jam session, the dongle kept dropping out and I even had to reset it.
But I guess at the time it was still in beta testing.

Hello @Hermon! I am very satisfied, there are only 1 or 2 things lacking (e.g. being able to assign pitch bend to the motion sensor). The last version is very customizable, the editor app (on my MacBook) is good, I’ve had no connection issues.

I cannot recommend that anyone try to purchase it now, if it’s even still available, because the company no longer functions (more on this when I reply to @npudar).

Hello @npudar,

So, first, a sad word of caution: Livid Instruments is for all intents and purposes a ghost company. The main founder and designer has been suffering from ALS for several years now, and no updates to hardware or software have been available for quite a long time.

I have been in touch with Sensel to suggest that they take over the company, but this is not possible for them at the moment (in fact they don’t think it’s possible at all). Interestingly, the person I’m in touch with at Sensel was also a founder of Livid - Peter Nyboer. Someone to watch, as he seems involved with a lot of the technology that excites me! I plan to reach out to Keith McMillen as well, but I don’t expect a more positive response. I do wish someone would step in, if possible, and if not, I hope someone else will take the idea of the Guitar Wing and make something like it.

So, for this particular gig: The Wing is simply another MID control surface, and it can be configured how the user likes. For me, I have it set up to control sending to any of 3 loops and to fade the loops out (using the 4 square keys), to change virtual pickups (using Blue Cat Re-Guitar, and the four little black switches on the side of the Wing), to mute/unmute the direct guitar sound, and to mute/unmute synth sounds that are generated by MIDIGuitar2 (and I can’t wait for MG3!). I use the motion sensor for pitch bend (because it adds a nice visual rather than just using a pedal), the pitch bend itself comes from THU currently, though I prefer the one in Reason - just waiting for Reason to become compatible with the M1 chip, to go back to it. I also have a pad on the Wing configured as a panic button - all notes off, via GP. Lastly, one pad switches my Wah pedal from being pre-amplifier to post-amplifier.

I kept the configuration pretty consistent across rackspaces for this show, but there are other situations where the function of various pads not he Wing might change from rackspace to rackspace.

tg

2 Likes