Change key using variations

I understand that there is an interesting discussion going on elsewhere regarding song parts and variations, but I wanted to keep my query separate.
My digital guitar controller (PS 3 guitar hero controller) uses five buttons to determine chords. Various combinations of the buttons will yield a total of 31 chords in any one song/rackspace. If I need three key changes, can I do this by copying the original rackspace three times and raising the key by two each time? I’ve never needed to use variations before, but the song I’m working on has too many chords for me to fit into the 31 chords I have available on the controller.
Thanks in advance, and please keep it simple!

I think I have no clue what the issue is.
You controller does not send a single Midi Note but for example 3 to play a chord?
From your controller you can send 31 Chords?

What do you need?

is it this:
In the 1st variation you press button 1 on your controller and it sends for example C-E-G to GigPerformer?
in the 2nd variation you press button 1 on your controller and it should send F-A-C ?

MidiIn blocks support transpose and that transpose is exposed as a plugin parameter which means that you can associate a widget with it. If you have multiple variations and you adjust that widget accordingly, switching variations of a single rackspace will change the transpose amount. Be aware that GP sends Note Off messages whenever you do a transpose tonaboid potential stuck notes.

Is this the way you use this gaming guitar controller ?

Not really. Look up on YT “Real Guitar 3 some new features Part 2”
I use it in strumminator mode with Music Labs Real Guitar. With the five button on the neck, you can program any combination of buttons to play any chord and save it in the rack space. For dynamics, the PS 3 controller has an accelerometer that raises the volume when you tilt the neck upwards, and lowers volume when you point it towards the floor. Very effective.

I thought I would transpose the guitars in var 2 up two keys by just setting the transpose button in each Real Guitar instance. Then the same in var 3 and var 4. Like sliding a capo up the neck two frets each time. Then just change to variation 2 using a program change sent from my iPad. Will this not work?

This is crazy, I want to see a video of you playing with this controller!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Is it your only MIDI controller?

1 Like

Seems like a good approach :slight_smile: Have you tried it yet?

Well, I am a Keyboardist, but I’ve always liked the sound of finger pick guitar. But I was too lazy to dedicate time to learn a real guitar. I originally bought the first version of Music Labs Real Guitar a few years ago. That version could only be played using a keyboard. Then by V3, they had figured out how to make the Ps Controller work. And remember, it is wireless so no cords attached. I can wander around the room no trouble. I have every single RG they make, and often use several at a time in GP panned accordingly. You heard the video,and it’s very authentic, even down to string scrapes and lots of other noises. One problem now is getting the controllers. You must use the one shown in the video as the new ones now have six buttons and haven’t been adapted to work. The controllers I use as in the video haven’t been made for a year or two, and can be expensive second hand. I’ve bought several on EBay, but by the time they ship to New Zealand, I’ve ended up paying $500 for two guitars. I now have a stock of guitars for future use, but they are robust and reliable.As far as I know, I am the only person in NZ playing live music with these controllers. Sorry, I won’t do a video, but the one you’ve seen is as good as it gets.

Not sure if it can be considered as a real music instrument, but it is definitely very fun. I like it.

:grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

As far as I am concerned it is a real instrument in the same way as any keyboard that plays any VST. If you close your eyes, the sound is right there. I do get some strange looks though, and quite often have to explain “what is that thing you’ve got around your neck?” But most people just accept it for what it is when they hear songs they know.

Reminds me of a stripped down Omnichord.

Logitech made a classy ps 3 controller from wood and much nicer materials including proper machine heads. I have one and it works well. It’s a bit heavier than the plastic versions and looks more realistic. Getting hard to find them also, and they are expensive to buy when you do find one.

I hope it’s ok to step in here - the “Topic Title” is spot-on.
I am not having any luck getting Midi In Plugins to remember or recall Octave Widgets “values” between Variations. Every time I switch a V it resets the Midi In Plugin to 0.
Is there a particular setting I should check?

You have to create a widget and assign for example transpose of the midi in plugin to it.
Take care that ignore variations is not checked for the widget.

Yes I have and none of them are set to “Ignore Variations”. But when I select a different variation with the Same Transpose Setting on Widget +12 ( Parameter Scaling: Min 50 Max 62 ) the Midi In Plugin still Resets to 0

Did you set recall value?
What happens when you do not set min/ max values in the widget?

Can you upload a screenshot of the widget properties?

On = 48 Off = -48

yes I will…

Try to use a knob widget