[blog] How to send PC messages out to hardware devices and other applications

First blog article written on Mac :slight_smile:

Link: How to send PC messages out to hardware devices and other applications

3 Likes

Left no stone (Program Change) unturnedā€¦
Great explanations!

1 Like

Welcome to joys of simple audio and midi routing!

BTW are you using the Universal installer? The MacOS dark mode looks great with GP.

Iā€™m an Intel guy :slight_smile:

The dark mode of any application is very odd for my eyes :slight_smile:
I tend to use very bright modes as I found those to be more pleasant (I know, itā€™s usually vice-versa) .

I donā€™t understand dark mode (aka inverted + dim) at all ā€“ I find it almost impossible to read stuff in that mode.

It would be like buying a book where all the pages are black and the font color is white!

I use a Mac at work as well, so light mode is for work, dark mode is for fun :wink:

Thatā€™s indeed a good topic. However you forgot an option for MSB+LSB+PC in variations :wink: :nerd_face:

1 Like

Thanks!

I linked this thread in the blog article, so whatever you have to add - this is the right place to go.

And a thread with ā€œAchtungā€ in it seems like a perfect choice :grin: :beers:

I couldā€™nt resist to the ā€œAchtungā€. I love this word :wink:

2 Likes

How to configure Roland Juno 61 to respond to program change (PC) messages from Gig Performer ā†’ Sending performance mode program change messages to Roland Juno DS - #20 by Funkninja

1 Like

I am a Prior user of Appleā€™s mainstage platform, and was able to address my needs, but scalability became an issue.

Here is what I would like to accomplish re external hardware control via GP.

1. Change Programs via program change in my Nord Stage 4, that is my main live keyboard.
  2. Optionally Change individual sounds inside a Program in my Nord, like the 2 piano patches, and 3 synth patches.
  3. Connect a Roland Integra, and send Program changes inside a Multi ( with access to 16 discrete midi channels )
  4. Connect a Yamaha Motif xs rack module, and send Program changes.
  5. Optionally send program changes to a Yamaha Tyros 5 to select sounds for upper 1/2/3, select song files, select styles etc
  6. Create hybrid rackspace that can cover VSTs (Omnispere, NI Komplete 14 Kontact 7, Arturia V Collection 9, AND sounds selected via Program Change messages to my Nord Stage 4, Roland Integra, yamaha motif xs, tyros 5.
    7.by Song part, sounds selected via Program Change messages to my Nord Stage 4, Roland Integra, yamaha motif xs, tyros 5.
    8.optionally, use OnSong or Stage Traxx3 to send Program Change to select Songs inside GP.

I was able to handle all the VST, Integra, Motif xs integration with Mainstage, but ran in to issues re scalability, ram consumption, stability etc., and thought it is time to retire Mainstage,

I play many types of events ranging from solo jazz piano, just using my ipad running charts and backing tracks with OnSong or Stage Traxx3, and venues piano, or my Nord.

My use case to use GP, is for freelance band corporate events, weddings, theatre etc, where I need to change song sounds fast(and occasionally song ā€˜partā€™ changes intro/verse/chorus/bridge etc), as well as duos I lead where I use a Tyros 5 arranger and Nord Stage 4, where it be great to have a ā€˜singleā€™ master Song list that can control everything. Should the Master be GP, or IPad running OnSong, or Stage Traxx3 - connected to GP on my MacBook (16ā€ with m2, 16gb ram, 1tb ssd).