Beat Accent with System Actions

Hi there, I’m trying to create a visual metronome as described in [Gig] Custom metronome with visual feedback

According to the system actions docs (System Actions):
Beat - value will briefly go to 1 when non-first beat occurs (attach to a pad widget to see a visual beat)
Accent - value will briefly go to 1 when accent occurs, i.e. the first beat (attach to a pad widget to see a visual beat).

I’ve added a “System Actions” from the “Miscellaneous” section of Internal Plugins, and added two 'Pad Button Yellow’s to the panel from the edit screen.

I’ve set one’s mapping to ‘System Actions’ and chosen ‘Beat’ from the parameter list, and the other to ‘Accent’ from the parameter lsit.

However, nothing happens when I click play in Gig Performer. Should mapping them to the system actions cause the Pad buttons to briefly light up?

Here’s a bare bones files I’ve tried it with. Am I missing connecting the widget to something?

visual metronome.gig (38.1 KB)

Any help much apprenciated, thanks!

There’s a parameter in the System Actions list just before the two you mentioned called Beat Mode. You’ll need to also assign a widget to that parameter and engage it. Once you do that, your visual metronome will work.

3 Likes

Fantastic, works great now, thank you for the help @edm11 !

Assign parameters as follows:

1. Assign this plastic knob to: MidiBeatAccentNoteNumber
2. Assign this pad button to: Accent
3. Assign this pad button to: Beat
4. Assign this plastic knob to: MidiBeatNoteNumber
5. Assign this plastic knob to: MidiBeatAccentNoteVelocity
6. Assign this plastic knob to: MidiBeatNoteVelocity
7. Assign this LED to: PlayStop
8. Assign this LED to: MidiBeat
9. Assign this LED to: BeatMode
10. Assign this LED to: Metronome

You missed the number 9 from the article: Gig Performer | How to create a custom metronome with visual feedback

2 Likes

Thanks @npudar It’s a great article, shame I didn’t read it properly!