Aux Send Help

Greetings,

I have a dry vocal going to output 1 of my interface, and vocal verb going to outputs 3/4. I have a widget mapped to the gain of a audio mixer plugin, which passes signal to my reverb plugin. When I want to add reverb, I increase the widget and hear the effect but the overall vocal signal increases in volume. When I remove the reverb, the overall vocal volume decreases because the vocal signal that was heard in the reverb is now missing.

How do I arrange an aux send setup where the over signal has less fluctuation?

Thanks

1 Like

You could try mapping to the Mix parameter of your reverb plugin instead ( if it has one). That way you’re not changing volume, just the amount of effect being applied to the signal.

Thanks for the suggestion, but then I would be relying solely on one output for both dry and effected vocals. I’d like to have the vocal effects be in a separate output from the dry.

If you’re trying to do the equivalent of a “Send” then why not do this?

screenshot_8283

You now have two channels in your mixer, one is direct, one is a reverb amount — you can control them individually. Map two widgets to the first two faders

Why does that not work?

Adding/subtracting signal gain from reverb channel influences the decibel level. Achieving volume matching requires some sort of A/B channel blend script, where the dB level changes of one are inversely proportional to the dB changes of the other. That’s what Mix knobs do–decrease dry signal while increasing wet signal and vice versa–not just adding/subtracting wet signal.

1 Like

Yeah, sorry - perhaps I wasn’t clear – I know that a Mix knob inside a plugin will do that blending but when you’re outside of a plugin, you’re kinda on your own.

I’m not sure why a script is needed though. If you’re not doing it manually, wouldn’t it be sufficient to link the two widgets and then adjust the scaling curves to keep the volume levels the same?

Alternatively, I wonder if an envelope follower could be used to do this?

1 Like

Yes that will work also, just have to get the right scaling curve.

1 Like

Here is a gig file that adapts an x-fader scriptlet created by @David-san to crossfade the volume of a dry signal with a signal sent to the reverb plugin.
A controller can be assigned to the Blend knob to control the fade that way, if you wish–or, just manually adjust the Blend knob and the dB levels should be equal. (thanks again @David-san for doing all the hard work with the calculations)

Blend_verb.gig (121.9 KB)

5 Likes

You are welcome, I hope it does the job for @zfw :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks everyone, I’m gonna hit the studio this afternoon, can’t wait to try this scriptlet!

2 Likes

There’s an interesting inexpensive plugin that might address this as well. See this youtube video.

3 Likes