Audio Interface disconnect problem

Only a driver can do this in your system. An application cannot lock down the system nor crash it. PCs come in many flavours and components and sometimes drivers favour one over the other.

This supports the above.

1 Like

@djogon, are there some technical information we could give to RME to request them to update their hardware?

1 Like

Not sure… I guess the only thing that could help them is some kind of “core dump” that gets generated or the exact motherboard specification where they can see the USB chips used etc…

Hummm… last time I had the issue GP was frozen, but no core dump was produced…

Hello everybody, if my post doesn’t fit here, feel free to move it or tell me to post it in another category.

In order to repIace my steinberg ur22 (Windows user) I have just bought a second hand babyface that I will receive tomorrow and I have a few days to test it before validating the purchase or sending it back.

I was all happy with this future purchase, then I read this topic in which several babyface users are experiencing problems, which scared me a bit and prompted me to post here.
I am planning to try it with my daw and GP but if I have problems like the above, how can I tell if it comes from the rme or something else?

Is there any way to test it reliably, for example with Totalmix which I don’t know yet but which seems to be a specific application for this device.

And are there any particular things to check to make sure this card has no problems regardless of any application or anything else?

Thank you in advance :grinning:

This “disconnect” situation has not really been a problem for me. In order to create this happening, I have to physically pull the USB connector out. Then I get the problem. My connector has never worked its way out on its own (at a gig, in the studio, etc.). I have been very pleased with my Babyface for the 2 years I’ve owned it. I had tried several less expensive interfaces before that with varying results - mostly consistency in communication problems. So, don’t really worry about it. Make sure your USB connector securely fits into your computer and into the interface…enjoy it!

Yes, you can use TotalMix to identify all inputs and outputs and test them exhaustively.

An application cannot crash your entire computer or freeze it. Only a driver can do that. An application can only “trigger” the driver to crash or misbehave, but it’s not the source of the problem. This is true for any applications as they run in a different “space” which cannot interfere with the system in that way.

RME drivers and devices are typically very good. I can, in fact, pull my Baby Face Pro out of the USB port, GP shows the disconnect and when I plug it back in it just works again.
I’m using a Windows Surface tablet, latest Windows updates and latest RME drivers. Here’s a video of the entire process:

If this doesn’t work on your system - it basically means that either there’s something else wrong with your system or the driver does not “like” some of the components you’re using (usb port, cable etc…)

Hope this helps.

3 Likes

Thank you, now just waiting for Mr Postman on saturday morning…