Assigning Tracks (media player song) to Controller Pads

New here and to GP3. My wife and I sing with piano, guitar, & tracks w/click track. I’m setting up my Behringer Motor61 for live use and am excited that I can use it as a live mixer with GP3 - THANKS!

Q: is there a way to assign my 8 Pads to trigger and play 8 different tracks in the media player? I don’t see any MIDI learn function in the MP. While I haven’t read the manual and watched all of the tutorials, a quick search hasn’t answered this question and thought this would be the quickest way to learn if it is even possible?

I’m hoping not to have to touch the PC but manage everything from the keyboard.

Thanks!

Hi @Fwrend, welcome to the family.

There is a new version GP4, are you really on GP3?

For my understanding:
You load 8 different Audio Files in Audio Player and want to start each loaded file from start?

Hi @pianopaul, that is correct. A couple of thoughts: I think I figured how to do it but correct me if I’m wrong or there is a better way to do it.

I can certainly assign a pad to trigger “play/pause” so that answers my basic question. However, I am thinking through my options as I was thinking since there are 8 song slots in the player - is there a way to specify which slot to play?

Some of our tracks are straight tracks (stereo music) and some are Click L & Music R (mono). While I can My initial thought was it would be nice to be able to assign L & R independently to different outputs. “Multi” doesn’t seem to help? I suppose I can load a media player for each song track?

Sorry for my ignorance of the program. I’m just thinking through the most efficient way to set them up.

@pianopaul

Thank you for the reply BTW and yes, I am on GP3. Managing funds ATM but anxious to upgrade. Actually, my version was purchased through the Plugin Alliance where I first heard about it. Great product!

1 Like

Create 8 widgets and map accordingly

Set AudioFile Player to Single
Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-06 um 17.53.41

Thanks again for the input! Yep, I’m good there. I have my eight pads assigned to trigger.

Is there anyway to trigger a specific lane/file in the player? Or, will I need to just add a player for each song and assign that player to a different pad? This is what I’m waning to do i.e. assign a different track/lane to each pad. Perhaps a setlist is the preferred/best way to do this?

Suggestion if I may. It would be nice to have a Parameter Assignment that allows for “Start from the beginning/Stop” which would allow to stop a track that was triggered accidently or triggered the wrong song.

@pianopaul

So sorry for the multiple replies!! I just took a good look at your pic and also realized I can scroll down on parameters for what I want!!

Is it working for you?

Yes, to some degree.

What I typically do is use just a stereo file. To keep things simple, as I run the mix as well as perform, I premix my stems down to CLICK on the L channel and Track on the right. It looks as though the player is set up to play 8 tracks at once rather than multiple, individual songs as I see all of the files play even if only one lane is selected to sound. This a great feature but for my purpose, I would probably just load a player for each of the songs we use.

Another suggestion might be to have transport button widgets and (or at least) have parameters to match the typical Play, Stop, Rewind, etc. Perhaps in GP4?

In GP4 with the new System Actions plugin you can map a widget to start/stop of the global play
And the Audio Player can be synched to the global play (already possible in GP3)

Other options are direct available in Audio Player (already available in GP3)

1 Like

Thanks so much for your time & input! @pianopaul

At this point, I’m really trying to see how far I can get setting up this keyboard controller as a live mixer and to what extent I can control everything we use.

Like, can two variations of a rackspace coexist and operate simultaneously? e.g. I can bank my 9 motorized faders so would love it if I could use bank 1-8 to control FOH mix and bank 9-16 to control IEM mix?

Variations are just snapshots of widgets, so I do not understand your question.

1 Like

No! only one at a time.

But you can have multiple Audio Player :wink:

1 Like

I also did something similar… have a look at this thread, maybe you can find something helpful:

1 Like

Sorry, seems there is a restriction for replies when you’re new - I was locked out for 18 hours.

All good. It’s taking me a bit to get my head around the possibilities here but I’m making progress. Here is what I’ve come up with. This gives me quick access to levels for mains and in-ears, instruments, as well as triggering tracks which is still a work in progress.

Thank you! Yes, I tend to not like extra stuff if not needed so I was trying at first to load each lane with an individual track but then realized they all play whether silenced or not. I understand the feature but it would be nice to have just a stereo file playlist option so e.g. if I using sixteen tracks in a show, I will only need two instances of the player.

Nevertheless, I’m loving the options!

Thanks @schamass! I’ll take a look and see what I can use.

Yes, it’s an automatic spam protection feature. I have manually upgraded you so you shouldn’t have that restriction any more

1 Like

Many thanks @dhj

FWIW, here is the layout of my keyboard which I am trying to at least resemble in the rack. I appreciate all the input - seems like a great community!

1 Like

Update & Q’s (if I need to post new topic, please tell me)

It will be awhile before I can start on the scripting path. So below is working nicely! I can select the track with the pads to the right and use the transport to (L>R) start at the Marker, Stop, Play from beginning.

Q1: the Stop button lights when pressed (it’s inverted to Stop - is that correct?) but the MRK & Play buttons do not light when pressed (neither is Inverted if that matters). Why?

Q2: Does Bypassing a plug (e.g. VSTi) release resources used for that instrument? e.g. I’ve set up a button on the Piano channel (Addictive Keys) so that the Bypass (inverted) is released when the fader is raised. If this doesn’t save on resources (CPU, RAM), then there is no point.