Always-quit-without-saving option

I’m planning on replacing my 10 year old Receptor Pro with a rack pc running Gig Performer.
However, when I try to shut down Windows 10, Gig Performer’s save dialog will block the shutdown (tried this on my home pc).
When playing live I never want to save and will have no keyboard/mouse/monitor attached to my rack pc.
This will prevent me from shutting down the pc “gracefully”.
Is there a way (e.g. a command line option) to indicate that Gig Performer should never save on quit?
If not, this is an urgent feature request :slight_smile:

I second this request

Thanks for the suggestions. We have to think about this carefully because it will make it too easy for people to forget that they need to save their changes. So an option in preferences to disable saving might backfire.

I’m wondering if something like a popup dialogue that automatically closes after 5 seconds might work better if that’s feasible with he frameworks we used. Then we could have a default option but here would still be a dialog with time to respond.

Thoughts?

The idea with a popup dialog which disappears automatically after some seconds is fine.
Maybe one can set the time of this popup to disappear in the preferences.

By the he way: I noticed that just switching a rackspace caused that I was asked if I want to save the gig when I quit gigperformer.
Could that be changes that only real changes cause that you are asked to save?

1 Like

Perhaps this is an idea?:

If the “always-quit-without-saving” option is selected, you could write the settings in a backup file on exit.
If at start-up there is a backup file of the current Gig present, show a reminder that it’s there.
Somewhere in the Options -> General tab, enable the user to restore or delete the backup file (if present).

Currently, the last used rackspace is remembered so if you switch to another one the system considers that a change. I don’t think it should be that way so we will probably eliminate that.

@Louis If you go the backup approach, won’t you just have the same problem when you START a gig since you’ll have a dialog pop up?

1 Like

I didn’t mean a pop-up dialog that you need to confirm, but just a reminder (timed pop-up or some message in a status bar).

As David said - we have to think carefully about this one. At the same time we have to recognize that there are users who don’t have a keyboard/mouse attached to the GP computer in live situations.

It seems to me that the real issue here is the prompt to save just because one switches the rack space. I am proposing that this be an option that can be switched off so that changing to a different rack space does not prompt to save.

If we did this - you can only get prompted if a “real” change was made but that also means that there is a keyboard or mouse attached anyway. If there is a keyboard/mouse attached - having the prompt is not really an issue.

1 Like

You could display the message in the bar where the gig name is displayed, color it red or something and add the clickable restore/delete options there?
Just some ideas, I’m no interaction designer :).

I guess I missed the “real change” part? Does it mean something like "a change that is not the result of a midi message?

I would then certainly prefer the simplicity of the “only prompt on real changes” option (a program change not causing a real change then :slight_smile: ).

The thing is, this notion of ignoring changes is probably unique to actually performing, as opposed to rehearsing and/or tweaking. It may be that the right approach is to have a performance “mode” in which cases changes are always ignored. Maybe we detect that there’s no monitor and that’s the cue to be in performance mode. Needs some careful thinking through so I’m just throwing ideas out

Using monitor detection is a bit tricky. Rack pc’s are often accessed via vnc (also used by the Receptor) or remote desktop. I’ll probably have a small usb-powered wifi router connected to the rack and vnc running just in case there’s an issue.

It seems that there is no hard rule as what constitutes a “real change” within a gig.

The best solution may be a command line switch. Since this feature would most likely be used by users who automate the startup/shutdown anyway - it would be simple to add something like “-nosave” as a parameter on startup in which case we don’t prompt to save no matter what changed.

Thoughts?

1 Like

A command-line switch would be ok for me.

By the way: thanks for such a great product and customer support!

Thanks Louis - it helps to have great users like yourself as well :slight_smile:

We’ll work on adding the command line and see when can we put it in an upcoming release.

Great :), thanks!

What about OSC save, quit with save and quit without saving commands?

It would certainly be easy enough to provide OSC messages to save/quit, quit/nosave and so forth though.

I’ll put it on our list