Ableton Link and Gig performer problems

Yes this is working, but as soon as you define an tempo automation curve it happens.
It tested with 2 Ableton Live Instances, both Link anabled, it was not happening.

WAIT: Now I was able to reproduce the issue with just 2 Ableton Live instance, no GP started!
So you are right there must be something wrong on my both Systems (?) or
the fault is Ableton Live.

@pianopaul - yes I can reproduce with the tempo.als file which is absolutely normal. That’s what the re-enable automation should do in Live. You set up some tempo automation which may change because of tiny jitter in clock sync that Link performs.

I was also able to reproduce with other applications. I opened Maschine from Native Instruments and as soon as I hit Link same thing happens. Not immediately and seemingly at random, but that is also expected because the litter in tempo sync can happen at any time.

OK, I found this

When you stop while the tempo is changed, it happens
Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-06 um 14.39.30

When you stop while the tempo is not changing, it does not happen
Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-06 um 14.40.16

And I think this behaviour has absolutely nothing to do with GP

When I use 2 Ableton systems it doesn’t happen. Only when GP is linked to it

If your automation is absolutely the same and is defined on the preference level there wouldn’t be changes and there wouldn’t be the need for this re-enable automation button to light up.

IF you use any other application this will happen. This is expected and it is not related to Gig Performer only. It is also not a bug as far as I can tell either in Live nor other applications. As I explained already - if you automate something and then you change that something - the button will light up.
Link will adjust the tempo by a tiny amount and if you automate the tempo or other parameters that Link can change - this button may light up.

I was able to reproduce with 2 Ableton Live instances (wihout GP started)

1 Like

So… no solution for this problem?

No, because it is a feature.

1 Like

Are you using Ableton Suite?

Ableton is horrible. Yes, I’m using the suite

Ok me too :wink:

With a simple M4L device you can adjust the tempo in using a midi track and drawing a CC curve.
Then you should not face to issue with the normal Tempo Automation.

I will test today evening and can upload that device, when you are interested in.

I don’t control the knowledge in Max4Live yet… got any good tutorial that could clear it up?

Not really, I was investiating time over some years and could build a relatively complex device
to remote control my session view with starting scenes and control levels and solo/mute.

I build a tiny device to control the global tempo via using a CC curve in a clip.
I am testing it together with LINK and can upload - when I am at home, right now I am in the office.

Amazing! Really impressive (= I’ll do some learning myself, but since Ableton is only working as a midi output and the link option, I don’t intend to dive in too deep. I’ll appreciate any way of help you have developed and can help share and help in any way needed

Here it is
Tempo_Changer.amxd (6.9 KB)
Tempo.als (13.5 KB)

If you followed all the replies you’ll notice that this is not a problem with Gig Performer. Moreover it seems not to be a problem at all, but as @pianopaul said - it’s a feature of Ableton Live. It is how things work in Ableton Live world.

1 Like

I know it’s not GP to blame, this software is amazing. it’s Ableton that drives me crazy, but I’ll try @pianopaul tip

I tested it myself.
Blank Ableton just Tempo automations.
Activating GP Link messes up the Tempo activaton on ableton.

Tested it with other link capable devices like

Traktor
Animoog etc

They work flawless.

So I assume something in GP triggers the reactivate automation process.

It’s not ideal for my setup. Loopers, Arps and so on need a steady bpm. But for the moment I will assign for every song a specific Tempo so the tempo based effects will work in an usable manner.

I hope It will be fixed in future updates.

Still loving GP.

What does this mean?

I’m not sure we understand what the issue is. GP has been including and properly supporting Link for number of years.

This is also unclear what does it mean to “reactivate automation process”?

Link is for tempo locking among devices on the same network. What automations process are we talking about?

I’m not Ableton Live expert so I may be missing something